Michigan bans deer, elk imports from Wisconsin

spectr17

Administrator
Admin
Reaction score

March 07, 2002

Associated Press

LANSING, Mich. -- Michigan has banned imports of deer and elk from Wisconsin, where three free-ranging whitetail deer recently were diagnosed with chronic wasting disease.

The illness attacks the nervous system, causing chronic weight loss and eventually death. It is not known to be contagious to other animal species or humans, state officials said Wednesday.

Before the Wisconsin discovery, chronic wasting disease had been found only in limited sections of the western United States and Canada.

The ban is intended to protect Michigan's private cervid industry as well as wild deer and elk, said Joan Arnoldi, director of the state Department of Agriculture's Animal Industry Division. The department oversees the licensing, registration and inspection of Michigan's 900 cervid operations.

The ban will remain in place until more information is available about the scope and range of the disease in Wisconsin, Arnoldi said.

Additionally, the Department of Agriculture will identify and trace all cervids that have been imported from Wisconsin over the past three years, she said.

This is the first time Michigan has banned deer and elk imports from an entire state, the department said.

The state departments of Agriculture and Natural Resources have tested some of Michigan's wild deer and elk for chronic wasting disease. More than 450 have tested negative.

spectr17

Administrator
Admin
Reaction score

March 07, 2002

Associated Press

LANSING, Mich. -- Michigan has banned imports of deer and elk from Wisconsin, where three free-ranging whitetail deer recently were diagnosed with chronic wasting disease.

The illness attacks the nervous system, causing chronic weight loss and eventually death. It is not known to be contagious to other animal species or humans, state officials said Wednesday.

Before the Wisconsin discovery, chronic wasting disease had been found only in limited sections of the western United States and Canada.

The ban is intended to protect Michigan's private cervid industry as well as wild deer and elk, said Joan Arnoldi, director of the state Department of Agriculture's Animal Industry Division. The department oversees the licensing, registration and inspection of Michigan's 900 cervid operations.

The ban will remain in place until more information is available about the scope and range of the disease in Wisconsin, Arnoldi said.

Additionally, the Department of Agriculture will identify and trace all cervids that have been imported from Wisconsin over the past three years, she said.

This is the first time Michigan has banned deer and elk imports from an entire state, the department said.

The state departments of Agriculture and Natural Resources have tested some of Michigan's wild deer and elk for chronic wasting disease. More than 450 have tested negative.

redfox18

Reaction score
I think all the states are worried,thanks for sharing the article

coyotebandit

Reaction score
The infected deer found are within 30 miles of my house and 40 miles from my hunting land, makes me a bit nervous about this fall's season. They are going to shoot over 500 deer in a 11 mile radius of where the infected deer were registered. They are using helicpoters to shoot the deer, and you have no choice if you are a landowner. They are going to cut the deer heads off and send them in for testing. I have heard nothing about what is going to happent to the meat. So far these (3) are the only deer in the state that have tested positive for CWD. I might just wait on the hunting license, just in case they decide to close the season on us.

Top Bottom