Michigan hunter convicted under harassment statute

spectr17

Administrator
Admin
Reaction score
Kalkaska MI man convicted of harassing other hunters

June 28, 2002

KALKASKA, Mich. (AP) -- A Kalkaska hunter was convicted of violating a law intended to keep animal rights advocates from harassing hunters.

Virgil Jason Deater, 81, of Kalkaska, was convicted by a jury Thursday on one count of interfering with another person's hunt. He was acquitted of another count of the same charge.

Deater was immediately sentenced to pay $269 in fines and costs, and his hunting license was revoked, the Traverse City Record-Eagle reported.

Deater shined his headlights on a deer blind on state land last year and blocked a two-track state forest trail with his pickup truck so nobody could get through, authorities said.

He approached a deer blind about 30 feet from his property line and told its occupants they would have to leave because their bait pile was too close to his.

When they refused to leave, he shined his headlights on their blind, making it impossible for them to hunt, a conservation officer said.

troll

Reaction score
This is the best hunting law Michigan has passed.  When I was 14 on my first gun hunt, we had a neighbor with a "wildlife refuge."  I was perched on a hill overlooking the area.  At first light, this lady came out and started honking her horn, slamming doors and doing everything else she could to scare the deer.  Unfortunately, she doesn't understand opening day in MI.  The deer simply run and really don't pay much attention to anything due to the concentration of hunters.  I had three deer come over the ridge at about 8:00 in the morning and dropped one of the bucks right in front of her.  If I hadn't gotten the deer, I was prepared to make a phone call to the DNR for harassment.  If your state doesn't have this law, I suggest you push for it.  It protects your right to carry out the lawful practice of hunting.

By the way, she never came out again to do that.  I think the experience was too traumatic...hehe.

Top Bottom