micro chip timer for home brew cameras

SIMPLEARKANSAN

Reaction score
DO YOU HAVE A DIGITAL CAMERA OR SCANNER SO YOU CAN POST SOME PICS.  THE DIAGRAM REMINDS ME OF MY PHYSICS CLASS AND THAT'S BAD NEWS.  IF YOU COULD POST A PIC AND DETAIL ALL NECESSARY COMPONENTS AND HOW TO SET IT UP AS FAR AS CONNECTIONS TO THE CAMERA, SWITCHES, AND POWER SOURCE IT WOULD DEFINITELY MAKE THINGS A BIT MORE CLEAR FOR US NEWBIES AND ELECTRONICALLY IMPAIRED MEMBERS.

Tinhorn

Reaction score
JoeD

I think you left out most of the circuit but it would be nice if it'd do all those things you described  ha ha

Tinhorn

Brian

Inactive
Reaction score
Looks like the new 8-pin microchip from microchip technoligies.  These are really neat chips.  They have there own built in oscillator and watchdog timer for power save and so forth.
Here is a link to there website but they do not do you any good without the code that he is offering already programmed.

http://www.microchip.com/14010/helper.htm

If they do what he says this a good deal.  They sell buy individual prices at http://www.rentrons.com for about 4.50 to 5.50 dollars.

Part #'s PIC12CE674-04/p or PIC12C671-04/p
There are other variations with flash ROM.

I plan on using these chips next year for time and date stamping and other projects that I think up.

Brian

Matt in MO

Reaction score
Joe:  How do you switch between the 1, 2 minute etc stages? Can you program other custom times if we order more than one?

Where do you read the number of events?

What are those do-hickies wired into pins 6 and 7? pots? switches?
Thanks

Possum

Reaction score
I think I've got it.  Explain the symbols on the right of the schematic.  I like this timer.  Good idea.

JoeD

Reaction score
Matt, Possum, and Simplearkansan,

Pressing the switch/button will trigger the LED's to blink.  A long blink represents 10 and a short blink represents 1 picture or event. So, if  you have 24 pictures, you will get two long blinks followed by 4 short blinks.  If you have 2 pictures you will get two short blinks.  By pressing the other switch/button, you can change the modes.  By pressing and holding the button down:  one blink - one minute; two blinks - 5 minutes; three blinks - 10 minutes; and four blinks - double picture.  Sorry about the confusion on the schematic, being in electronics you'd think I'd know how to draw a switch.  I'll redraw the schematic later.  The switch that you must use is a SPST momentary pushbutton switch.  MUST be a  N.O. switch. (Available at Radio Shack)  
The LED's I use for mounting on the outside of the box are RS part number 276-069B.  I'll post a picture of the timer and my camera as soon as I get a chance.  Hope this answers all your questions.

(Edited by JoeD at 9:59 pm on Sep. 6, 2001)

glen71

Reaction score
JoeD - You (and your bro-in-law) rule! I assume we e-mail you for an address to send an order?

JoeD

Reaction score
Simplearkansan and Glen 71.  If you would like to order the microchip that my brother-in-law has programmed just email me at HuntwithJoe@aol.com for ordering information.  We are selling the programmed chip for 10.00 each plus 3.00 shipping.  If you would lilke I will build the timer for 30.00 plus shipping.

Possum

Reaction score
Joe, you are the MAN!  I retrofitted a MS20 (9 volt) with a OWL camera with the timer chip you sent me.  It came in today and after wiring the board and installing the chip it works perfectly.  I had some trouble with the LED's until I found out the + side is the longest pin.  Then it worked like a charm.  AWESOME.  Now I can put it on the corn feeder and catch all the second deer coming to it.  All the modes are working correctly.  Thanks a million.  Now I will install the next one on the RSPIR cam.

You guys that are considering this timer - Go for it.

(Edited by Possum at 10:16 pm on Sep. 19, 2001)

davered1

Reaction score
Joed

Will you ship some of those to Canada the shipping will probably be a little more.

Let me know ,I would like to order a couple

davered1

JoeD

Reaction score
davered1,  Of course we will ship to Canada. We now have 2 versions of our chip  (Thanks to Matt in MO)

One chip has one minute, 5 minute, 10minute and double picture mode(takes on picture and 5 seconds later takes another picture with one minute delay between the double pictures.)

And the other chip has 15 seconds, 30 seconds,  2 minutes and the double picture mode as above.

JoeD

Possum

Reaction score
Joe, is it correct to assume that both chips can be mounted in the socket and can be switched out or in depending on what time period we would like?  I'd get the second chip if it can be "plugged" in and work with the original schematic.

JoeD

Reaction score
Possum,

Absolutely, It's that easy to change the times.

JoeD

Possum

Reaction score
I am not speaking for Joe, but I believe the relay in your PIR is what this timer is controlled by.  The relay gate closes when the PIR is activated and the charge is allowed to go into the chip and start the timing sequence.  I am using it with 9v MS20 and 5v RSPIR cams (two different cams).  I would think if you are asking from the perspective of power consumption you would have to reduce the 12v of battery driving the PIR down to 3-5volts to run the timer.  I can't think of any reason this could not be done.  In short, yes.  And it is such a low drain on the battery, I can't see any negative effect.

Top Bottom