Mike Long does it again!

foulshot

Reaction score
Long gets 18-1 bass at Poway for record

By Ed Zieralski
UNION-TRIBUNE STAFF WRITER

February 8, 2002

Mike Long has struck again, scoring another lake record for bass.

Long, of Poway, the nation's top big-bass hunter, broke the Lake Poway record Wednesday, catching an 18-pound, 1-ounce largemouth bass.

Long said he used 10-pound Maxima line and tricked the bass with a three-16th-ounce watermelon-pumpkin seed-colored Pro-Line jig.

This gives Long five lake records. In addition to Poway, Long has the biggest bass at Cuyamaca, Dixon, Sutherland and Mission Viejo.

In addition to setting lake records in recent years for bass, Long has won $78,400 for catching the biggest bass in the Big Bass Record Club's nationwide contest. But Long said this one won't be entered.

"You have to have a witness to be eligible, and I didn't have one," Long said. "I was just kicking back . . . I tied to the log boom and casted toward the dam's spillway. That's where the bass are moving right now."

Long predicts bass will be spawning at Poway by the end of the month, probably during the full moon of Feb. 27.

The 20-pound, 12-ounce bass Long caught at Lake Dixon last year earned him the Big Bass Record Club's first-place prize of $25,000.
---------------------------------
I'm looking forward to my first bucket mouth in the double digits, hopefully this year.

sportyg

Reaction score
As soon as I hit the lotto I'll fish like that !! LOL

foulshot

Reaction score
Sportyg, you and me both!  From what I understand about Mike, he does a lot of scouting the lakes when the water levels are low.  Makes all his own maps, marking the structures and what not.

That reminds me, time to check my numbers!

sportyg

Reaction score
Foulshot, good luck on your numbers !! Don't need to win it all just part of it.. Gee did I say that !!

Latest Posts

Top Bottom