Military Feels Fuel-Cost Gouge in Iraq

chuam

Reaction score
WASHINGTON (AP) — Think you're being gouged by Big Oil? U.S. troops in Iraq are paying almost as much as Americans back home, despite burning fuel at staggering rates in a war to stabilize a country known for its oil reserves.

Military units pay an average of $3.23 a gallon for gasoline, diesel and jet fuel, some $88 a day per service member in Iraq, according to an Associated Press review and interviews with defense officials. A penny or two increase in the price of fuel can add millions of dollars to U.S. costs.

link

jmabbott888

Reaction score
Why are our troops paying for fuel? they don't have povs there & the govt fills the tanks on military vehicles.

rcrosby

Reaction score
Who gets to define gouge? What is gouged? $3.00, $2.50? $1.00?

What does it mean military units pay $3.23/gallon in Iraq? Aren't tax payers paying $3.23 gallon?

chuam

Reaction score
Iraqis are paying $1.36 a gallon for gas yet we're paying $3.23 a gallon for trying to fix their country? You guys are still asking what gouge?

Caninelaw

Banned
Reaction score
Guess that proves the liberal mantra - we went to war for oil...

BTW, if we did where's my cheap gas!?!?

rcrosby

Reaction score
It says pretty clearly Baghdad subsidies bring gas to Iraqis to $1.37... Who is paying the subsidy? You are implying that oil companies are charging Iraqis less than U.S. tax payors are paying for gas in Iraq. Maybe Hillary can promise subsidized gasoline for all Americans... Would you be for that Chaum?

chuam

Reaction score
I agree with the the price of gas here. The market is being driven by the low dollar and speculators right now. Do I like the fact that gas is high? Nope but the market is driving it right now. If we find a bunch of collusion by oil companies then I would have a problem with the prices. If anything I think the price is good as it will increase our demand for alternative fuels and more fuel efficient vehicles.

I can't find the article but the oil revenue in iraq is not going into building their country back up or helping pay for our security. From what I remember reading the money is coming in hand over fist also.

Yes, Iraq should be subsidising our military fuel needs in Iraq.

Latest Posts

Advertisement

Top Bottom