mineral licks

SWAMPFOOT

Reaction score
didnt know wher to post this so here it goes.
currrently have one of my cams over a mineral lick commercial product called mineral magic that i heard some talk about on the tn deer forum. i was just wanting to get some recipes from some of you guys who make your own mineral licks . i would like to set my cams on several homemade and commercial just to see what happens.  any recipes for game attractants would be appreciated maybe we can all benefit from it.    
thanks in advance.

bradleydale

Reaction score
This is one that works really well I'm told, haven't had a chance to try it.

Deer Mineral Mix Recipe

Ingredients:

1 part Di-calcium phosphate, this is a dairy feed additive bought at feed stores

2 parts Trace mineral salt, the red and loose kind without the medications

1 part Stock salt, ice cream salt

Directions:
-Use a 3 pound or similar size coffee can to use as your measure for each part of the mix
-Mix all together well but not until ready to use, keep ingredients separate until ready to put to use
-Dig or tear up a circle in the soil about 36 inches wide and about 6 inches deep
-Mix your mineral mixture with the soil

Maintenance:
-Replenish in 6 months with a fresh supply of mineral, and then each year there after

undcoverbob

Reaction score
Yippee! My favorite topic. . .  Swampfoot: Are you just out to have deer lick a big hole in the ground; or are you out to give deer some extra minerals to supplement their normal diet? (which may or may-not be beneficial, depending on who you talk to)

The past few years I've used some commercial mineral mixes on my family's farm. We have seen an increase of fawn per doe birth ratio, and younger bucks becoming bigger w/larger antler growth. I just started mixing my own minerals about 2 months ago, and I am seeing some great results.  

scott morris

Reaction score
If you don't want to use so much sodium. You can mix in dry molases. Also dry and use it on Clay soil. The clay retains the minerals better. I know it's alot easier here in GA to find clay than else where. Good luck and post some pictures.

SWAMPFOOT

Reaction score
undercover bob
im looking to draw deer in to an area and benefit the deer at the same time. i want the deer to be as healthy as possible. i am also very fond of big racked deer. i have so much respect for this animal that my wife often questions how i can still hunt same. i am trying to get as many photos as possible. and im going to keep track of which kind of lick i think works the best.   so give me some of your recipes i would like to try many kinds commercial as well as homemade. i would like to benefit the animal more than anything else though  i would love to be able to keep the deer healthy and to increase the number of births and supplement their natural diet.

Nino

Reaction score
Swampfoot.  I'm no expert in this area but am experimenting and learning more myself.  Last year I put out a block of water softener salt just to see what would happen and if I noticed any increased traffic.  They noticed it but that sucker is still around a year later.  I too am interested in supporting the health of the herd.  I've been using a trace mineral for live stock from southern states.  My site is readily accessible so I put out a little at a time but keep sprinkling some corn to keep them coming back.  They love the rock salt for water softeners too, to get them to notice your spot.  I put some over an old piece of rotten firewood one time and they tore it up.

BackWoods

Reaction score
I know you guys like making your own stuff, but I am using Imperial 30'06.  I sent in for the sample pack and the deer have just been tearing the stuff up.

This doe has her left front leg in my mineral lick.  I have another picture of her (2 minutes later) scaring 2 yearlings away.

undcoverbob

Reaction score
Imperial 30'06 is some good stuff! Just a lil'pricey, like all the commercial mixes are.  

undcoverbob

Reaction score
Just remember too much of a good thing is a bad thing! Deer don’t NEED the supplemental minerals, they WANT the sodium (salt) and other taste good additives.  Placing too many licks out, and making them overly concentrated can make deer ill.  Something none of us want.

undcoverbob

Reaction score
My favorite mix is one with a 25lb. livestock minerals (with mineral ratio’s all but matching comercial whitetail minerals), 2 bags of brown-sugar, and 10lb. of agricultural mixing salt (Solar Salt & Table Salt will also work ). Mix all together, and place about 5lb.of mixed minerals per lick site.

undcoverbob

Reaction score
A good way to start off a lick to use a box of Arm & Hammer "Washing Soda" (Sodium Carbonate). It's kinda a local thing; your stores will either have it packed on the shelves or they never heard of it. (found in the laundry additives isle).  Sodium Carbonate is powder like, and seems to penetrate the ground a bit better than crystallized sodium products. This stuff is great because it can act like a starter for your mineral licks. After the deer find where you placed the washing soda. On the next upkeep for the lick, just add your more expansive commercial deer minerals or the mineral-mix you made.  This allows the deer to be more prone to ingest the newly added minerals before they break down do weather and soil conditions.  Good way to not waste money on expensive products to bring the deer in, and allows the deer the most benefit because of the fresh minerals they'll be ingesting following the upkeep on your lick-site.

SWAMPFOOT

Reaction score
SCOTT MORRIS
IM INTERESTED IN TRYING THE DRY MOLASSES WHERE DO YOU FIND IT?  I CURRENTLY MADE A LICK W/ REDTRACE MINERAL SALT, 2 TO 1 MINERAL RATIO MIX FROM SOUTHERN STATES, BROWN SUGAR.  THEN ONCE AT THE SIGHT WTHE DRY STUFF IN THE DIRT I ADDED A BOTTLE OF WET MOLASSES WOULD LIKE TO FIND SOME DRY TO BE ABLE TO MIX ALL TOGETHER TO CARRY IN ONE CONTAINER.

undcoverbob

Reaction score
Swampfoot;

Sounds like your site has plenty of molasses, the brown-sugar is made from molasses. Also, When your site needs upkept, I'd go with a 3:1 ratio minerals to salt.

scott morris

Reaction score
Swampfoot, try your local Feed & Seed. I use a Southern States Dealer, a 25# Bag cost about $5.00. Can also use Brown Sugar but more expensive.

Top Bottom