Mini toggle covers

Passthru

Banned
Reaction score
 Well frustration was setting in so i was trying to figure out a way to weatherize them,My problem was trying to make things to difficult so i started thinking simple and free,so here is what i came up with,this may have been done by some here and i have not treid this as of yet.

Take the plastic film bottles that we all have,Cut the bottom out of it till its just tall enough to cover the toggle switch with lid on,then epoxy it to the eclosure,after the epoxy dries it should be easy to remove the lid to flip the switch and put the lid back on.epoxy should be strong enough to keep it from being knocked off and will help prevent the switches from being flipped when you are hauling them in and out of the woods.if your real good with a dremel tool you could use the bottle as a pattern drawing around the base of it then grind a small shallow groove for it to sit in fill the groove with epoxy and push the bottle into the groove,this would add to the strength(if your enclosure is thick enough to allow this.
 they may not look sleek on the side of your enclosure but they will be water tight and can be cammoed.the only place this would be a problem would be bear country or other critters chewing on them but that has always been a problem anyhow.

(Edited by Passthru at 12:25 pm on June 17, 2002)

JoelM

Reaction score
what about putting your switches so they stick straight out the bottom of the enclosure???

coyotebandit

Reaction score
I've done that with the switch covers, and I think it helps. But I'm sure a little moisture can still get in there. Once corrosion begins inside the switch, all kinds of strange things can happen!

ToddP

Banned
Reaction score
"VERY Industial"????

Are they squirrel proof???  I took notice that one of mine has been chewed on.

Todd

Tinhorn

Reaction score
A while back I was looking for something to "Counter Sink" inside the enclosure with the switch attached to the bottom of the "something"  (bore a hole the same dia, countersink with it sticking out a 1/4" or so and caulk around it) only I couldn't come up with any ideas.....

I think that would work, PassThru, thanx.   I'm not sure even epoxy will stick to that oil-slick-plastic but Goop does I think.  I don't need anything now but will keep it in mind.  Sounds like ****** is keeping us covered so far tho,  Thanx ******

Tinhorn

Passthru

Banned
Reaction score
 Tinhorn,a person may use a little sandpaper to rough up the film bottle so the glue will stick better,im going to try this very soon as one of my rubber boots has fell apart on one of my cams,ill let you know how it goes.

Archilochus

Reaction score
ToddP.... given enough time, those rodents'll get through ANYTHING - there ain't no such thing as "squirrel proof"  ;-)

Only remote possibility is a latching, industrial quality, "environmentally sealed" stainless steel toggle - but they run ~17+ US$ each!

Archilochus

Hill Hopper

Banned
Reaction score
Solar Panels and a BIG capacitor surrounding the switch covers. I love the smell of burnt squirrel in the morning.:microwave-nuke:

Top Bottom