Minolta Talker Camera Success

R

Rflesh

Well after yesteday's fiasco, where I fried my Canon Owl PF, I was pretty discouraged. Today while visiting a few swap meets  found this camera called the Minolta Talker. I checked the switch a few times to make sure it was electrical release instead of pressure release. Cost $10 bucks.

After taking it apart I used a wire to try and trigger it electrically by probing contacts. One contact I found made the camera trigger five times without stopping. The second place I found, triggered the shutter and then went waited a few seconds before rewinding. It took another 3 seconds to refresh the flash. So it appears it takes a photo every 5 seconds or so. I will let you know on that at a later date.

Anyway I hooked it up directly to the Radio Shack PIR's speaker wires, without any relay, diode or anything. Just two speaker wires directly to the contacts on the camera. It worked no problem.

I am testing it out tonight inside a shed where I have a little rodent problem. I check in the morning for the results. If all workes well, I put it into the box I made and it's off to get the beaver. With luck I will have some beaver shots by mid-week.

Does anyone else use the Minolta Talker? There seems to be some kind of voice recording ability on it. I have never seen this before. There is also a date time capability I wil figure out later.

Also any recommendations for solenoids would be great.

Data

Reaction score
Rflesh, what battery source are you using. The RS sensor powers off of 9v. I don't think you can use a 12v relay with the RS sensor as stated in your previous post. Data

R

Rflesh

On the radio shack PIR I used a 12v relay and I got no good results. The battery was a 9 volt, maybe that was my problem, not knowing what any of that means. The original directions posted on this site on how to modify the Radio Shack PIR are no longer here, so I kinda guestimated. I did fry my Canon Owl. I will return it tomorrow and I allready got a 5v relay for the next try. In the meantime I direct wired the radio PIR to a Minolta Talker , with nothing else between or added, just speaker wires directly to the camera and it seems to work. I am going to process the film tonight in my dark room. I am curious how the autofocus works out.

Still looking for a solenoid that I can use. Locksmiths don't have any, Kragen's Auto people are too dense to know what I am talking about for a door lock and the local hobby guy got pissed off at me for suggesting I use something designed for a rf plane in such a way. They have some kind of device that moves the rudder and tail wing, that may be a great shutter pressure switch. But he was less then thrilled.

SWAMPFOOT

Reaction score
rflesh
12vdc relay means it requires 12 volts to trigger it, 9volt dc relay requires 9 volts so the 12 volt relay will not work w/9volt battery it requires 12 volts.
hope this helps a little.

cedar N sandy

Reaction score
Rflesh,
  Could you elaborate on your darkroom a litle bit. My brother built one in high school (20yrs. ago) but he was only developing for black&white ballgame pics for the local paper since he was school photographer. Is it cost effective or is it like my handloading hobby ......fun and accuracy.

R

Rflesh

Oh Boy Cedar n Sandy,

Be careful what you ask for, I tend to be a little long winded or in this case long-fingered. I will try and be brief as possible. However, because many people have read some of this string and I thing this is of interest to other I will post this on a new thread if you don't mind . This would enable to hopefully let more read, offers ideas and suggestions.   Thanks

:)

R

Rflesh

Swampfoot,

Thanks for the information on the 12 volts. It makes sense, but I am electrical challenged. Being color blind, I always stayed away from electrical tinkering till now. Although color photography poses no problem for me. I was able to go to an electronic store here in Sacramento that collects old and used electricasl components from computers, devices, etc. He had 20 different kinds of solenoids that used 12 volt and 24 volt. (prices 50 cents to $4)  He was also kind enough to spend two hours talking to me and giving me his advice. (priceless). No pir material but man what a collection of stuff. One of the solenoids I bought for a buck was connected to the end of a 12 vdc relay. It had been modified to push a button on the outside.

So now I am back to the drawing board.

BTW, any chance someone can repost the instructions on how to modify the radio shack pir again. Thanks.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom