Miss Catfish 2002 crowned at Mississippi festival

spectr17

Administrator
Admin
Reaction score
Annual World Catfish Festival a success

By: Bob Darden, Greenwood Commonwealth Staff Writer

April 07, 2002

Rebecca Jean Moulder of Yazoo City, left, is congratulated on being crowned Miss Catfish 2002 by Allison Bloodworth of Grenada, Miss Catfish 2001 Saturday in Belzoni.

Moulder crowned Miss Catfish 2002

BELZONI - The sun and crowds came out for the 27th Annual World Catfish Festival Saturday.

"This is an extra good one, I think," said Rita Holbrook, a resident of Belzoni and a veteran of every festival since the first one back in 1976.

She said the cold temperatures and rain detracted from the family-oriented event down through the years.

But that wasn't the case Saturday.

The highlight of the festival was the crowning of Miss Catfish 2002.
Rebecca Jean Moulder of Yazoo City took the crown in a field of 13 competitors.

Moulder is the daughter of Ronald and Lindy Wells and Robert and Kay Moulder of Yazoo City.

She won a $3,000 college scholarship and a $500 wardrobe allowance. As Miss Catfish, she will act as a goodwill ambassador for the catfish industry throughout the country.

The festival featured plenty of music from old festival favorites like the Bluz Boys, as well as new acts like the band Tishamingo and singer Melinda Dees.

The festival also featured the Colgate Country Showdown talent show.
Roy Morgan of Columbia makes it a point to come to the festival as many times as he can.

"We like it. Our son is the State Farm agent here, and we come down and we take the grandbabies to it," he said, while struggling with a large, three-baby stroller that only had one child in it at the time.

Holbrook said the festival's main attraction is the craft vendors. They were spread out through the city's downtown area.

"The quality of the crafts is really up this year," she said.

Holbrook said she started coming to the festival when her children were small. Now she brings her grandchildren.

"I've raised my children here, and now, I've scattered my grandchildren," she said.

Others were lured to the festival out of a sense of curiosity.
Donna Snell of Jackson and her family drove up to the Delta just to see what all the fuss was about.

"I think it's nice, it's my first time here," she said.

Willie Byrd and family of Columbus were hooked on the promise of catfish.

"I was going catfishing this morning. Then, I said, 'I'm going to eat me some catfish' instead. We left about 8:30 this morning. We didn't have any trouble finding the place," Byrd said.

Once at the festival, the Byrds quickly spotted the line for the catfish plate.

Was the trip to the "Catfish Capital of the World" worth it?
"It's the best catfish I've ever slipped between my lips," Byrd said with a smile.

Scotty

Reaction score
I want to comment on her hush puppies but I better not.
Scotty

Advertisement

Top Bottom