Mississippi Turkeys

Welby

Reaction score
Although this forum is mainly about California and Missouri hunting, I will be posting information about my home state from time to time.  Besides, there will be hunters from all over the country visiting this site before long.  I know I am sending some Mississippi pals this way.

Here in Mississippi, the spring turkey season is just three days away.  Then, we'll be a blowin' and goin', runnin' and a gunnin'.  The gobbles are not yet fired up, but they are gobbling some.  

At my hunting spot, one bird gobbled at 6:10am Monday morning, but it required some heavy hooting to get him to peep.  Tuesday, two birds begin sounding off at a quarter 'til six and gobbled unprovoked until after 6:15.  This morning, the gobbling didn't start until about 6:00am and it took a hoot or two to elicit the beginning of that gobbling action.  And, only one bird was sounding off.  In the past three days, the birds have moved from one location to another and it looks like Saturday morning they will be where anyone's guess is.

I'll keep you posted.

3curljohnny

i hunted around tunica and mahons landing(sp ?) a few years back. great hunt and a hell of fish camp/ bar there.. think it's called the redneck riviera?

Welby

Reaction score
Well, I probably shouldn't even tell this on myself, but opening morning I did call a gobbler up.  He may have been as far away as 1/4 mile when I first heard him, though he was alone and closed the distance fast.  However...I got a little "antsy" when he hung up at about forty - fifty yards and acted like he was about to split.  So I took a fine bead, carefully squeezed the trigger...and then missed!!  Not once, but twice, no less!!

I have had a sick feeling in the pit of my stomach ever since.

Reckon he's still call-able?

peytonsputter

Reaction score
You know what they say about them misses. You'll forget it in about 30 years, heh heh.

cedar N sandy

Reaction score
Welby,
  Glad to hear you had one come in. Did he come to your tube call or your new Knight & Hale slate?  
   To answer your question.......Is he still callable?   Yes, if you clean missed him enough that he is still alive. A Gobbler roams the woods lookin' for food and love during the Spring, as you already know, and has all kinds of things happen to him from day to day. My feeling is this. Yeah he may be a little more cautious but he will continue to mate. This will eventually lead him back to your gun if you try a different call, just to be on the safe side.
   I called one in year before last on the 4th day of the season....gobbling his head off and spittin' , drummin' and struttin'. I had out a decoy and he came right in to my gun. Guess what I found in him when I pulled all his feathers off....... he had been hit with a load of #8 or #9 shot dirrectly in the chest.....my guess he was shot in full strut head on. He must have been shot on opening day because they had scabbed over.
  Don't let it get you down and try him again in a week or so. Good Luck!

Welby

Reaction score
Actually, that post above is from last year.  Season doesn't start until this coming Saturday, March 23, 2002.

I hope he's still callable, if he's even still around.  I don't plan on missing him again.

Top Bottom