Missouri boys

robNhood

Reaction score
Live and work in St. Louis. Hunt and fish in the Mark Twain lake area.

gtbait

Reaction score
Snuck over the Mississippi a few times while living in Quincy ILL. We still have a lot of family living in MO. Hopefully this fall I'll be decorating a few Oaks in Clark CO. with an arrow or 2.

Chairman

Reaction score
Count me in......... West Central MO. - near (very near) Truman Lake

KsBowhunter

Reaction score
I'm another mis-placed Mizzourah'n!

Hey Chairman, where bouts near Truman? My folks used to live in Windsor. I graduated High School in Warrensburg and still have family and friends in the area.

Thinking of doin some bowhuntin around Southern Johnson Co. this fall.

(Edited by KsBowhunter at 12:21 pm on Aug. 14, 2001)

KsBowhunter

Reaction score
How close to Windsor Crossing are you? I've never hunted that area, but always thought it would be worth a shot.

I've got permission to hunt about 600 acres off of 13 HWY between Warrensburg and 2 HWY junction this year that hasn't been hunted for over 15 years. My buddy says he see's deer and turkey in there all the time.

:dancinred

Chairman

Reaction score
KsBowhunter,

I'm about 5 miles North of Windsor Crossing, and 1 mile West - near Barker Creek.

I got a nice 10 pt. buck there, last year - with my truck!  I was coming home from hunting Truman Lake (got a nice 8 pt.) last year and I was already re-living the hunt, when I looked up and saw eyeballs & antlers coming straight for my windshield!  It was kinda spooky (at night), but I managed to swerve to the left in time to save my windshield - but not the truck's right side.  There are some huge deer around here - and they are sneaky!  You're nuts if you go the speed limit during the rut, on Hwy PP & Hwy Y - especially at night.

About 2 days later I was coming down my driveway, watching on both sides for deer tracks.  I was about an 1/8th of mile down my driveway and all of a sudden got an urge to look up - I was staring at Mr. Monster Buck himself.  I think he was as surprised as I was - he just stood there like he was in shock!  I have alot of does that bed on my property, plus fawning areas.  He was following their trail with his nose to the ground - neither one of us was looking up.  Needless to say - he high-tailed it out of there and was on the opposite side of my property in less than 10 seconds.  He is the largest buck I've ever seen around here.  I only seen him one more time the rest of the season, plus my brother saw him once while coming to visit.

I've got 80 acres smack dab in the middle of corn fields & soybeans.  The deer & turkey around here are in great shape - plenty of them, too!

How's this for a long answer to a short question?!  You got me thinking about all the deer & turkey around here - well, you know how it is......... :D

Matt in MO

Reaction score
Yikes! We must be driving past each other at times. I spent a lot of my childhood summers visiting my grandparents in Windsor. My Mom lives near Coal now, (I grew up in North Kansas City). I hunt mostly west of Clinton in the Big Creek and South Grand bottoms. I haven't fished out of Windsor Crossing much, but pass thru the area quite a bit. I've met the owners of Brush Creek Ranch a few times- I bet you know were that is.

Chairman

Reaction score
Hey, Matt!

Yeah - I pass Brush Creek Ranch every time I go to town.  Looks like a nice place.  I wonder what the hunting's like on the ranch?!

South Grand bottoms?  Is that those bridges just West of Clinton?  Whenever there's a significant rainfall, it's all flooded?  Looks like a prime place to hunt!

LAter,  Chairman  (Rick)

KsBowhunter

Reaction score
My folks lived on the South side of town, right as you turn onto Y HWY, 3rd (I think) house on the left. Big white two-story w/a long white shed.

It was my step-dads dream, 10 min. from the Crossing. He knew some hella crappie fishin holes on that part of the lake.

Chairman

Reaction score
KsBowhunter -

I know exactly where you're talking about.  We don't go to Windsor that much.  Usually, we stop at the Wagon Wheel Cafe (?) in Windsor, on the way to Whiteman AFB.  Usually about once a month.  We do most of our shopping in Clinton.

Passthru

Banned
Reaction score
 I in also.  Down in the St.James,Rolla area,do alot of hunting at Ft.Wood

Matt in MO

Reaction score
Chairman - Yes, the South Grand River bottoms are west of Clinton, but they parallel Highway 7 - the bridges you are crossing are the Big Creek bottoms - also good deer hunting although it seems the good bucks get poached by the road hunters. One they didn't get is http://www.pcis.net/mhull/buck2.jpg (a bowkill in '93)

I'll be up there this weekend working on stands and duck blinds.

Matt

Latest Posts

Top Bottom