Missouri Department of Conservation Cafe Closing

StringShooter

Reaction score
http://www.conservation.state.mo.us/cgi-bi.../ultimatebb.cgi

As posted on the MDC Cafe website:

Cafe Closing Aug. 30

In the last part of 1998, the Missouri Department of Conservation began a test project to help build online communities where people could trade ideas and tips on enjoying the outdoors. This project was called the Conservation Cafe.

At the time this project began, there were few places on the Internet where someone could go to meet other outdoor enthusiasts. Over the years, the membership of the Cafe has steadily grown. Friendships have been made, organizations have been formed and people have formed their own online communities.

Today, perhaps in part to the success of the Cafe, you can find several online communities on the Web where you can talk “shop” with other people who share your interests in waterfowl hunting, native plant gardening, fishing, and other outdoor activities.

You can find links to many of these online communities in the DMOZ Open Directory Project.

In this sense, we consider the Conservation Cafe a success. Our goal now is to take what we’ve learned in developing the Conservation Cafe and create new services that draw from our unique resources here at the Department of Conservation. One such service we are currently exploring is the creation of scheduled online chats with experts from the Missouri Department of Conservation. This type of environment will provide something the Cafe did not – the ability for many people to get answers to various questions from MDC staff during these online meetings.

The Missouri Dept. of Conservation will be shutting down the Conservation Cafe Friday, August 30, 2002. This will enable us to shift resources to the creation of these new online services.

We appreciate the many Cafe members who, through their posts, helped others get their start in hunting, fishing, trapping or other outdoor activities. And we hope that you will continue to be active in the various online communities that exist today.

Chairman

Reaction score
It doesn't make sense.... it is successful, so close it down.

I don't understand, and I'm very disappointed in MDC....

Tinhorn

Reaction score
Well that's a shock!

I only go there once or twice a week but wonder where all those guys'll go?

Tinhorn

Matt in MO

Reaction score
The MDC is slipping a bit in my mind. With all our tax dollars surely they could have continued to support it. OR, they could have appointed volunteers to moderate the boards - it does get a bit out of hand due to a handfull of people who loved to stir up trouble.

Someone took out the domain name www.conservationcafe.com and set up the same forum software.

Nice work on revamping this forum, Jesse.

spectr17

Administrator
Admin
Reaction score
Sure going to miss the Cafe. Showme has done a bang up job setting up ConservationCafe to be almost the same thing.

I think it came down to money and having to babysit. Also, since they are a government run forum, they were wide open to a lawsuit if they banned people like they were doing to a lot of the waterfowlers. My guess is their legal counsel also told them to bail before any lawsuits. This is why you don't see any other state run forums, it just won't work.

Top Bottom