MO hunt

spectr17

Administrator
Admin
Reaction score
Nuttin so far, had a jake in the crosshairs yesterday and passed. Birds didn't gobble at all in the morning off the roosts, can't ever remember them being that tight lipped. They gobbled a bit in the evenin when they went to roost but that was it.

Neightbor shot a 27lb tom Monday with 1 1/4" spurs, big ole field bird.

Nice day yesterday but a bit windy. Rained some this morning but no wind finally. Saw 4 toms sneak into the neightbor's roost last night but they disappeared this morning.

No mushrooms found yet, neighbor found one this weekend.

Goin fishin this afternoon.

Good luck everyone else

Hideandwatch

Reaction score
Good luck Jesse, I hope the weather holds out for ya. Spose to get a good cold snap early in the week. Far as I'm concerned it is cold nuff right now, dont need no more cold.

spectr17

Administrator
Admin
Reaction score
Thanks H&W. Nuttin yet. Came dang close yesterday. Called a wiley ole tom in off the roost from across Troublesome Crik. He strutted for an hour and a half off to my left at 60 yards but just wouldn't come in. Tried the leaf crunchin, death purr everything. He came in about 40 yards once but there were some small saplings in the way.

I knew from past experience that keepin a tom gobblin that long usually invites trouble, either another hunter, hens or coyotes will come bust up the party. This time it was 2 jakes sneakin in to put a butt whoopin on the gobblin tom. He was up a log struttin when he saw the 2 sneakin jakes and he broke strut and hopped off the log and headed for the hills. I kelped at all them of them and the gobbler broke back my way around a thicket but he was still too far for a shot. When the jakes run him around the 2nd time he was about 30 yards so I took a poke at him as he zig zagged by. Clean miss. I putted to get his head up but he was all tucked up and running from them goofy jakes. The jakes stayed wide after I shot or I would have taken it out on them for ruining our party. Death to all jakes now.

No action today for Dad or me. Real windy and temp was 74. Neighbor found a pile of older morels, I haven't found any yet. One neightbor got his first tom, big old field gobbler with no spurs and 11" beard. No weight but he did say he was a heavy bird. They usually grind up the breast meat on them old toms, too tough and stringy for sammiches.

Dodgin june bugs up on hte county road as I type this, they love the truck light. Good luck to those still out.

Hideandwatch

Reaction score
Good story Jesse, keep us posted.

The morning on Thursday should be good still, warm, a bit breezy. But then all hell spose to break loose Thursday night and Friday morning. I'll be out in the early morn'n Thursday
try'n to get close to the roosts. I know there are at least 2 good gobblers left on the southside fields. Gonna try um, if not may work the northside, I seen one over there roost'n 2 nites ago.
Good Luck!

dirtpoor

Forever Hunting
Reaction score
Jesse, I cleaned out my truck today and found your box call, email me what address to send it to and I'll put it in the mail, Bill usahunter@aol.com

Arrowhead

Reaction score
Dirt >> If'n it's a Cost call it's probably mine so I'll send you my address. If it's a plastic box just send it to Jesse.

Good luck to all in Mo. We are just sitting here watching.

Hideandwatch

Reaction score
Hey Jesse...you make it thru that weather alright last evening? Missed us here, but west of me in Independence and northland got their butt kicked round 2 am.

spectr17

Administrator
Admin
Reaction score
Thanks for lettin me know Bill, I was wonderin where I had left that Albert Paul box call. Was hopin it wasn't in the woods. Don't let Arrowhead fool ya, he just wants some of my Neil Cost boxcalls.

Well let's see, Thursday I sat in the swamp near Troublesome Crik. Been huntin there so much I have green and brown stuff growin betweenst my toes. It was a cloudy morning with no wind finally. Not much gobblin early, most of the nearby roosts shut down about 1/2 after sunrise. Around 7am a tom on our side of the crik answered my slate kelpin. The gobble had come from where I had watched a lone tom go to roost the night before. His second gerr-robbbbble was closer and he was movin down Leland's field to our corner, he was maybe 80 yards out and just about to come into view inside the timber line.

I shifted early to get ready for him to come in on my left which is my offside for shootin since I'm a southpaw.
Just as I get leveled off out of the corner of my right eye I see 4 turkeys trottin out in front of me about 50 yards. At first I thought they were hens and had seen me movin and were buggin out but the binos showed they were 4 jakes and they were beelinin right for the tom. Probably the same 2 marauders from Tuesday with 2 new buddies for more horsepower. They had come from the same direction across Troublesome Crik at the same exact time as before. Murphy had to be playin a cruel joke on me.

Since I had issued a Fatwah against all jakes it was battle stations.

I kelped at the jakes and they turned right into me and started searchin for the hen they heard. I picked a hole at 25 yards and when the apparent leader of the lynch mob stepped into it I couldn't find a beard so he passed through unharmed. The 2nd jake was not so lucky, once I saw a 5" beard in the scope I slapped the trigger. Down he went and the first jake started doin the celebratory dance on the dead bird's head. The other two jakes started runnin around in circles wondering what the loud bang was and why their former buddy was toes up. Then all 3 started fussin with each other to resort out the peckin order. I dropped the shotgun and grabbed the camcorder to film the comedy as I shouted taunts at them.
Iffen it had been legal I would have murdered all 4 birds right there for miscoursin my quest for a longbeard.

The jakes finally regained some of their senses and skedaddled. I walked over and picked up their associate and hurled more derogatory comments their way. The longbeard I had workin probably watched the whole scene play out and laughed all the way back to the safety of Leland's where he had come from.

Dad had went up to our 1 acre field and didn't hear or see a thing. He's gettin over his cold and feelin better so he stayed out most of the day till the 1pm quittin time.

I cut the meat off the jake and we wanted to fry em up in the fryer last night
but the wind was howlin again and we didn't want to take a chance and light the shed on fire. Severe t-storms rolled in late and just as we were gettin ready to head out this morning all heck broke loose about 5am. Gale force winds, heavy rain and lightning so we just headed into town for biscuits and gravy. Most of the farmers were there too, the rain had interrupted their spring spraying and planting.

Around 9am it let up a bit so we went and checked Leland's field and there were 14 turkeys in 3 different groups out preenin themselves and drying off. One group was right near our fenceline so I hurried back around to try and pull off a quick hunt before we had to leave for Shelbina to meet Dave from MoWhitetails.com for lunch. The wind was so loud I couldn't even hear my own callin. Tree limbs were comin down so I headed back to the trailer to get Dad and head out.

Tonight I found those jakes and where they roost across the crik from us. It was about where I figured they were comin from the neighbor's cornfield. The jake I shot at 8am had his crop plum fill of old moldy corn from last fall. Must have been 2 handfuls of corn in his crop. I got a bunch of pics but I don't have my cable to upload them to the puter handy here.

Got one more full day and Sunday morning .to take another crack at the longbeards

Ain't seen a jake here on the farm in 10 years and this year they are commin out of the woodwork to torment me. On the positive, only seen on snake and he was dead in the road. A black water snake that was only half there, not sure what happened to the rest of him. The other half better not turn up in my sleepin bag, that's all I can say.

No poison ivy yet, the woods are just startin to green up here. Gettin tough to see more than 50 yards now in the timber and swamp. Forecast for Saturday is partly cloudy, chance of showers and breezy. Breezy here means hold on to your hat. I asked dad if they ever have strong winds and not just breezy for a forecast and he said yeah, the locals call them tornados.

I do need some help on the Fatwah thing. Once you kill one of the offenders is the Fatway automatically called off or is there a time limit or what? Can you repeal a Fatwah or do I have to shoot another jake?

Speckmisser

Reaction score
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
I do need some help on the Fatwah thing. Once you kill one of the offenders is the Fatway automatically called off or is there a time limit or what? Can you repeal a Fatwah or do I have to shoot another jake?[/b]
I think it means keep shootin' until they're either gone or a big tom comes in and offers himself as a sacrifice.

Oh, by the way... I had your snake at Deedy's this weekend. Just a four-foot gopher snake. He was all stretched out on a log, catching some rays. He was all good until I reached down and petted him. He didn't care much for that and put on his best buzzworm impression. Thought about bringing him back to the resort, but didn't figure Deedy or Karin would care much for his company.

spectr17

Administrator
Admin
Reaction score
Video of our MO spring turkey hunt.

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/LHptHtpXsqE&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/LHptHtpXsqE&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

Tominator

Reaction score
Didja snatch up that lizard @ 0:44?
Slough @ 2:40...got any ducks in the fall?

Very nice, enjoyed that.

Top Bottom