Mo is adding $25.00 to the non res tags for 4 local states

spectr17

Administrator
Admin
Reaction score
Missouri is adding an extra $25.00 to the non res tags for 4 local states. FYI.

Here is the MDC info from the 2002 fall deer hunting pamphlet.

$25 Permit Surcharge for Some States

Residents of Illinois, Iowa, Kansas and Oklahoma must pay an additional $25 for Nonresident Any-Deer and Nonresident Managed Deer Hunting permits for a total cost of $170. Missourians pay high fees in those states, and many complain that Missouri nonresident fees are too low. The surcharge does not apply to qualifying nonresident landowners from those states. The surcharge will help fund the Operation Game Thief and Share the Harvest programs.

The Department is keenly aware that many nonresident hunters are visiting family and friends to enjoy the outdoors and continue family hunting traditions. We encourage nonresidents to contact their state officials and voice their opinion regarding nonresident hunting fees in their states.

spectr17

Administrator
Admin
Reaction score
Missouri is adding an extra $25.00 to the non res tags for 4 local states. FYI.

Here is the MDC info from the 2002 fall deer hunting pamphlet.

$25 Permit Surcharge for Some States

Residents of Illinois, Iowa, Kansas and Oklahoma must pay an additional $25 for Nonresident Any-Deer and Nonresident Managed Deer Hunting permits for a total cost of $170. Missourians pay high fees in those states, and many complain that Missouri nonresident fees are too low. The surcharge does not apply to qualifying nonresident landowners from those states. The surcharge will help fund the Operation Game Thief and Share the Harvest programs.

The Department is keenly aware that many nonresident hunters are visiting family and friends to enjoy the outdoors and continue family hunting traditions. We encourage nonresidents to contact their state officials and voice their opinion regarding nonresident hunting fees in their states.

vman

Reaction score
Boy I saw this coming.  I don't blam them $308 for an Iowa Non res tag is way too much.  One question, I would consider that discrimination wouldn't you?  You can't charge somebody more because of their age, race, or sex.  Why can you because of location?  I'm personally fed up with all states always raising tag fees.  It's just forcing hunting into a rich mans sport.  

StringShooter

Reaction score
Well, my job in Missouri still tells me where I can live. My Police Department is under State control and I have to reside in good ole' St. Lou!

coyote170

Reaction score
Those of us on fixed incomes feel it more I think but when you
are in the woods its worth it I visit my mother in law in KANSAS
BUT CAN NOT AFFORD THE Non resident fees wish it was different.

sven

Reaction score
I think this subject touches a nerve with everyone, resident and nonresident alike.  Iowa and Kansas have had high NR fees for a few years.  Illinois implemented them last year along with a cap on NR archery permits.  

I don't know the reasoning for the other states, but IL has been swamped with NR hunters in search of the record book bucks supposedly hiding behind every tree.  Resident hunters that have hunted private land for free or next to nothing have been displaced by NR hunters paying premium lease rates to hunt the land.  Some of these people are hunting for meat to keep their family fed for the next year.  Illinois is at the bottom of the list of states for pulic hunting land which magnifies the dilemma.

As far as people that have move out of the state, but come back to hunt family ground,  in Illinois they had an opportunity to buy a lifetime hunting license for a one time fee that would have allowed them to buy permits at resident rates for the rest of their life regardless of where they live.

People complain about the hikes in NR permits, but 14,xxx people bought up all the available tags in 6 weeks.  I suppose some of them already had hunts booked with outfitters so they pretty much had to buy the tags.  We'll see if the price hike affects this year's sales since there has been plenty of notice.

I hope no one takes this the wrong way.  I don't have anything against out of state hunting.  I would like to go out west for elk, antelope, and/or mule deer someday, but at the same time I understand that it will cost some money to do it.  

vman

Reaction score
sven,
I understand.  This damn walking Iowa record book deer has made it almost impossible to get permission without the bankroll to go with it.  Its to the point where it might be cheaper for me to go out west then to hunt my own state.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom