Mock Scrapes

Defcon15

Reaction score
hey what is the best way to make mock scrapes and where are the best places to put them?
thanks,
jack

if you have anyother key information on mock scrapes please tell me.

thanks

bigbucks

Reaction score
Defcon, I think the most important thing is to have an overhanging limb. I usually take a small tree (2" diameter) and bend it over. If it doesn't stay you can tie it down.

Cdad

Reaction score
Defcon, when making a mock scrape make sure you have a licking branch. The best locations I have found are back in some cover where a buck will feel secure using your mock scrape. You also want to be REALLY CAREFUL about human scent when making your scrape. Wear rubber boots and rubber gloves (if at all possible) to keep scent (human) to an absolute minimum. Also make sure not to make your scrape too soon, as this might have a tendency to spook a wary buck. Do you know where any scrapes are in your area (already existing)? If you do take a CLEAN pail and a shovel go to that scrape, and relocate it!! Take some of the dirt from that scrape and relocate it to the area where you want it, just make sure you watch your scent. Check your new scrape in a few days (after making it) and freshen it up with whatever scent you are using, I have had some success with Wildlife Research Active Scrape.WATCH YOUR SCENT! I can't emphasize this enough, you know how awesome a whitetails nose is!!!

Cabin Fever Bob

Reaction score
Gotta have the overhanging branch! I just take a strudy stick and clear the leaves off of a 2-3' diameter area. I loosen the soil a bit with the stick to get that fresh soil smell to it and to make it look more appealing to a buck. I then put some scent(buck early in the season then doe in heat or buck later in the season) in the scrape. I'll usually carry the stick that I used away with me and leave it somewhere else to reduce any human scent near the scrape. I then freshen the scrape in the same manner every day or two. I've had pretty good luck using mock scrapes. Sometimes I've had bucks working the mock scrapes within 12 hours of me making them!

mkacala697

Reaction score
works good to make a line of like 4 to 6

the way bucks make rub lines, make sure they go past your stand!!!

woodseye

Reaction score
Good post Cdad you took the words right outa my mouth. That using dirt out of a real scrape perferably from another area away really works good! I also cut off a licking branch from the same scrape and attach it over your "new" scrape. if its from a different buck you can get quick reactions when putting it up in an alpha bucks territory!

woods

HUNTER12

Reaction score
i just put something sweet on a branch and let them do the work:muha:

hickstick

Reaction score
I posted this on another site and waited for the flaming to begin, but I think everyone just ignored me.  I have had success making mock scrapes with the heel of my boot and grocery store ammonia!  also peeing in a scrape too.  You just can't beat a $0.99 bottle of ammonia.

you do need to pick the right location, with the overhanging branch and all.  but I'm serious, try peeing in it.  Deer (especial of the buck persuasion) are genetically programmed to taste urine, IT DOESN'T MATTER WHO IT CAME FROM!  You could relate it like...its kinda their way of logging in and checking the old email inbox.  they want to know who's dropped by.

I have seen it with my own eyes!  two years ago I had an eight pointer break off from chasing a doe and shove his face, nostrils deep in a mock scrape made with ammonia.  The only problem was he was straight on and presented no shot ops.

couple of weeks ago, I was out hanging a camera and saw a nice downed sapling, and scraped a little 6" circle under it with my boot and peed in it.  its now about a foot to a foot and a half in diameter.  Gonna move the camera over there from my food plot to see who's been checking it.  

anyone else with similar experiences?

woodseye

Reaction score
yes I've had like experiences with using human urine to start or freshen a scrape.I think it breaks down rapidly to its ammonia base.They do say the deer can tell if the urine is from a meat eater(prederator).I often do it to get a mock scrape started and then go to a commerical deer scent.Although to be honest I use scents less all the time.They are one less thing to possibily spook a wary buck.

woods

hickstick

Reaction score
Woodseye....I just read on stick on a similar themed thread that there have been several scientific studys done that deer cannot distinguise one species urine from other. Not sure how they guage that but I have to assume that monitored the deer's reaction to the smell. Theres a good thread in stickbows whitetail confernce and its seems alot of people have had similar results/experiences as I.

Good luck out there everyone...I've got three weeks until my first hunting trip this year and cant wait!

woodseye

Reaction score
Hickstick,they will really avoid coyote urine.It works up here to keep em' out of your garden.I could be wrong as I'm only going by my experience but i think IMHO that they can tell urine source when urine is fresh before it breaks down. again I respect your opinion and you could be right.There is so much we don't know about deer,and what they can do with their noses.

woods

Defcon15

Reaction score
hey everyone, thanks for giving me all the info about mock scrapes. Does anyone have an opinion of where the best places for mock scrapes or when the best times to start them are? Also, if anyone has any other information, would you please post it. i don't want to spook deer out of area by doing something wrong. thanks a ton,
jack

skipnoid

Reaction score
Hi,

Hickstick's suggestion might be worth experimenting with as it would save me a whole bunch of money. For what it's worth, I agree with all the tips so far: fairly thick (but huntable) cover, NO HUMAN SCENT, licking branch, make a scrape line ... I have a line between two stands of seven scrapes spaced about 50 yds apart. I also put three cotton balls in a baby food jar with holes poked in the lid and put an ounce of scent inside. This gets buried in the middle of each scrape. Everytime I check the line, half of the jars are un-burried by deer. I also believe that right now is the perfect time to start ... BEFORE all the real scrapes come out.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom