Modifying a Cam with a 9 volt batttery

Possum

Reaction score
I am taking my MS20 Cams and changing them from 9 volt to 6 volt.  What kind of connections are you guys using to connect to the lantern battery.  Somne kind of clip? Also, will the lantern battery work with the RSPIR?  I kind of think it will since the #2 pin is a regulated 5v output.

Tinhorn

Reaction score
Howdy Possum,

Yeh, I just use alligator clips on mine.  I also put some white tape on the battery and use a red hi-liter to clearly mark the (+) post so I'm less likely to make any mistakes and accidentally reverse the leads (which would be bad, as in toast).......

RS PIR & 6volts:
I looked at the schematic and I think all you'd have to do is:

REMOVE U1, a 5v regulator, and add a jumper to short across where pins 1 and 2 were.

diode "D1"'s Cathode connects to pin 1 (the banded end)

and

Cap "C2" (100uf-16v)'s (+) lead connects to Pin 2

so find these 2 components to locate the correct Volt Reg pins to jumper.

(Pin 3 goes to ground, for your info)

The 6v lantern battery will drop about a half volt when it goes thru D1 to come up with a little over 5V's.  The relay would need to have a 5v coil.

The 6v batt would be connected to the old 9v battery leads (never hook up a 9v battery with the regulator bypassed be cause it mite make toast again!)

You could use 4 AA's with a batt holder from RS that has a 9v clip on it,  these would last MONTHS with the RS PIR's low current......

Tinhorn

Passthru

Banned
Reaction score
 I have a battery question,   im currently useing a 9vdc battery on both my cams (1 RS and 1 MS20) i have a black and decker drill that runs on the 9.6V rechargable battery (Nickel Cadnium) is it safe for me to use this Battery? I dont know the Amperage of this battery,but im assuming it would work???

Tinhorn

Reaction score
PassThru

It'll work, just besure of Polarity

BTW Possum,  
9v transistor batt's have 590ma's of power and AA's have 2000ma's

Tinhorn

Latest Posts

Top Bottom