Modifying the Fuji Discovery 90 Camera

Jaggermax

Inactive
Reaction score
I have posted the steps involved in modifying the Fuji Discovery 90 camera on my website.  Check them out at:  

http://home.earthlink.net/~claydubois/_wsn/page4.html

Let me know if you have any questions.  

PS.  Another thing I just found out.  Do not buy a Fuji Discovery 80 QD camera.  It looks exactly the same as the 90, however, it uses a manual trigger.  It might be good if you use a solenoid to control the camera though.  

(Edited by Jaggermax at 9:51 pm on July 14, 2001)

gizz

Reaction score
Jaggermax - Thanks for taking the time to post the pics on this. I have one of these and will wire it up for future use.

Archilochus

Reaction score
Hi Jaggermax,
I have a pair trail-cams using Fuji 60AFs, and I was wondering if the 90 shared any of their bad habits.
>>>>>>
The 60's go to sleep after about ~1/2 hour of inactivity.  

The 60's frame counter continues to count frames even after the roll of film is used. Very annoying!!!

At low temps below ~+25F, even before the cam has gone to sleep, the 60's flash will discharge internally while the camera is sitting so that when you press the shutter button no pic is taken.  In low temps, I have to have my circuit give the 60's a 1/2 shutter press "refresh" pulse every 5 minutes in order for the flash to stay charged up enough to take a pic.

At +5F the flash stops working on the 60's using alkaline batts - never tried lithium batts, maybe they'd work better at low temps?

I used a medical grade thermometer and my freezer to "cold-test" the 60's.

Archilochus

Jaggermax

Inactive
Reaction score
I have not tested the Fuji 90 at low temperature yet, but after what you have said about the 60, I definately will.  As far as needing a refresh pulse on the flash, It is not needed.  I have had the camera turned on and sitting on my desk for about two weeks now.  Everytime I come into my office, I close the contacts to make the camera and flash fire, and so far, it has worked everytime.  

Also, the battery life for the Fuji 90 seems great.  I bought the camera 2 months ago and have had the thing turned on the entire time just to see how long the AA batteries would work.  They are still going strong.  

spectr17

Administrator
Admin
Reaction score
Excellent job Jaggermax. I put a link up to your instructions of my main homebrew webpage.

Does the frame counter advance when you trip it without film? Like Arch said, this was a major pain when I modified a Fuji 60. You could reset it manually but it was a bit tricky.

One other question, can you lock the flash on manually to fire all the time, like the forced flash in the Owl cameras?

I found some specs on this camera.

This compact camera features extra-large viewfinder, advanced red-eye reduction system, macro mode, drop-in film loading, built-in autofiring flash, self-timer, active autofocus system with autofocus lock, and auto film advance. In addition, it has auto DX film speed settings for ISO 100, 200, and 400. Aperture Range f/4.5, Lens Fujinon 34mm, no LCD, Weight 7.2 oz., size is 5.4" x 3" x 2", Batteries Two AA batteries, flash range 9 feet, close focus is 4 feet, quartz date date/time stamp options of month/day/year & day/hour/minute.

Jaggermax

Inactive
Reaction score
I checked the picture number when I fired the camera and it constantly stays on S (start) without film in the camera.  Also, it has a switch on the back which controls the camera mode, but it only has redeye mode and auto flash mode.  In my new camera box, I simply just covered the light sensor on the camera so it fires all of the time in auto mode.  This camera has great potention, my only worry is the strength of the flash.  I took some pictures of JR. playing in the yard one evening.  I used the flash but had 100 speed film in it.  When I got the film back, the pictures were a little darker than I had liked.  I am testing it with 800 speed film now, and hopefully, it will be brighter.  

Possum

Reaction score
Thanks for the info on the Fuji 90.  You are right about the flash capacitor inside the camera... it will light your world up...I have experience with that.

Top Bottom