Modoc County Waterfowl Hunting

Loomis

Reaction score
<font face="Georgia">Text</font>

Looking for good information on Waterfowl hunting in Modoc County California.
I'm not interested in paying the FED's $20.00 just to apply to hunt on opening day....
thoughts?

Wildbio

Reaction score
You might try Ash Creek Wildlife Area West of Alturas in Beiber.  Or See if Goose lake is Open to hunting.  The water levels are kind of low right now, but there is a fair number of geese out there.  There is a boat ramp on the east side of the lake at the Cal-Ore boarder.  The hardest part would be setting up a blind on the water that birds won't flair at.  Other than those I got nothing.  Good luck.

Loomis

Reaction score
last year we hunted at Lake Almanor, the water levels were very low...this made it very difficult to access places we had hunted years previous...the mud was very thick....at  Walker lake the spot we hunted the year before was dry!!!!!
How low is goose Lake? Have you ever heard of "Resevoir X", near Goose lake?

Wildbio

Reaction score
I haven't heard of res X.  Last month we were still able to launch air boats out there.  By the time the season rolls around it will probably be a lot lower.  I have never hunted that area so I can't really give much advice on it.  Sorry I can't be more help.

Timmy

Reaction score
You can hunt Lake Almanor? Thats a new one on me. I have fished that lake loads of times but never gave it a thought of hunting there. It looks like it would be great hunting because of all the geese you see just on the chester side of the bridge.

Jay

Reaction score
There's tons of reservoirs and lakes that hold water all year round in Modoc county. Many of these are on BLM or National Forest land. You'll have to get a map and do some driving to find them. The agricultural fields along the Pit river provide most of the food and therefore hold most of the birds. Try to find some water near some grain fields. If you've got a boat or canoe you can float the Pit or Fall river.

Also never underestimate the number of ducks you'll find out in the desert. Just cause there's sage doesn't mean there's no ducks. There's lots of springs and seeps out east of 395. Some are on the edges of "dry" lake beds, some are locked between lava ridges, sometimes the low end of a pasture collects seepage. These spots may vary from year to year depending on water avaiability so you have to check them out before you show up to hunt.  

Get the topo maps (topozone.com) and scout, scout, scout.

Megadeth

Reaction score
I went antelope hunting in Likely Tables back in 93. I camped at Nelson corral, just NW of Likely. The amount of birds in the small lake were unbelievable. The ducks, geese, doves and quail were very thick. It is BLM property so there you have it. Good luck

Jay

Reaction score
There be wild rice, wheat and alfalfa fields just north of Likely. So there you be, water near ag fields = lots-o-birds.

Loomis

Reaction score
Thanks everyone for responding, I'm amazed on how helpful this site is...I can't wait for the North east opener!!!!!!!!!!!!

Chance

Reaction score
In the fall of 1973 a bunch of buds and I made a road trip to likely for some duck and goose hunting.  The time frame was in December.  We had permission to hunt a ranch just north of town.  It was turning real cold and birds were everywhere.  We stayed in an old line shack with a wood stove.  Each day we would pull the guts out of the brids we killed then nailed thier beaks to the cabin wall.  In a few hours they were frozen solid!  The best hunting was at a hot water spring about 1/4 mile from the cabin.  Every bird in the country seemed to want into that place!  They would drift in through the steam vapor rolling off the pond.  I still have a picture somehwere that shows us standing in front of the cabin with a wall full of frozen birds.

pitdog

Banned
Reaction score
Loomis and Chance,

Welcome to JHP. I don't know much about Modoc Co. duck hunting but as you can see, this site is full of great people with lots of good Info.

steve

Advertisement

Top Bottom