Nudle Bush

Reaction score
How does moisture effect cameras and PIR?

It rained does and fawns the other night now my PIR is staying in the on position!

Will my unit still be good when it dries out?

bowbender

Reaction score
BROWNIE, I HAD SORT OF THE SAME PROBLEM,WE HAD A SMALL RAIN SHOWER THE OTHER DAY,JUST BEFORE I WENT AND CHECKED MY CAM ,WHEN I GOT THERE I HAD 12 PICS ON CAM AND DECIDED TO MAVE IT ON TO ANOTHER TRAIL, AFTER I MOVED IT I COULDNT GET MY TEST LIGHT TO WORK,SO I SWITCHED TO CAM POSITION AND STILL NOTHING, SO I BROUGHT IT HOME OPEN UP THE CAM BOX, TOOK EVERY THING OUT ,OPENED THE BATTERY DOOR ON MY RS SENSOR AND LET DRY OUT OVER NIGHT,TA-DAH NOW IT IS WORKING FINE! FIRST TIME THIS HAS EVER HAPPENED,EVEN AFTER LEAVING OUT IN THE RAIN BEFORE!

Archilochus

Reaction score
Hi NB,
Toss a few bags of dessicant in your enclosure.  Unless you have a serious leak that should dry up your cam / sensor.

Archilochus

Nudle Bush

Reaction score
The way it rained the other night! a pail full of dessicant would'nt cut it.

Worst part is that I had to dimantle my PIR....I used  lots of silicone when put it together last time.

Living is learning!

dharter

Reaction score
The push button switches on the outside of my camera got corroded on the inside.  I could push the on-off button and sometimes it would turn on.  I am looking for some waterproof switches now.  Where my ubolt comes out of the ammo can hmidity could get in.  I had putty and some silicone which did not hold when I put pressure on the ubolt to hold the ammo can to the tree.  I am going to try putting a nut and washer on each side so that the ubolt does not move in its hole.
  When I retrived my canon owl pf date the counter was flashing on a count of 24.  It had not rewound.  I put new batteries in and tried to rewind the film.  It would not rewind.  After pressing the rewind button several times, I was able to get the film to rewind a little at a time.  Eventually I got the whole roll rewound.  When I got my pictures back the lab had not developed /returned all the negatives to me.  They only printed about 4 out of 24 that I took.  Soem negatives wre missing. I suspect that moisture had caused the film to stick in the camera which resulted in the ruined pictures and negatives.

glen71

Reaction score
dharter - Home Improvement stores carry metal washers that have a rubber washer "bonded" to one side. The hole in the rubber is somewhat undersize and provides a pretty good seal on the bolt. I use them on my feeders and they seem to work pretty well. They are usually found in the "specialty fasteners" section.

Tinhorn

Reaction score
A couple weeks ago we got 4" of rain and I had 2 cams out, one quit working but the other was fine.

Neither had any visible moisture but I left the bad one's case open over nite and it's worked ok since.  

It was deff the PIR, the 2 test LED's worked find on the 2 stage timer

That is the only time I ever had one quit working (that I know of, maybe they dry out and I don't catch it tho)

I will be getting some dessicant just for insurance tho

One thing I've been doing is putting some of that "Ox-Guard" black salve on my battery's and phono plugs, just a light coating to prevent oxidation

This is the stuff electricians use on aluminum wire.  You know how you sometimes have to hit the rear end of a flashlight to get it to come on?  If you put this stuff on the battery's, the bad connection won't happen!

Tinhorn

(Edited by Tinhorn at 1:24 pm on Sep. 27, 2001)

dharter

Reaction score
Glen71,
  Where did you get your fasteners?  I checked Home Depot and did not see any there or did not find them.  I bought one package, but they were locking fasteners.  

dharter

Reaction score
I went to Lowes and found out that they have a specialty hardware section.  I found a bushing that fits on a bolt. Also they had what looked like a nut with a flxiblae tube attached.  Is that what I need?  

Top Bottom