Mojave NP

Maverick

Reaction score
Is the Mojave National Preserve open for hunting? The area I'm talking about is off Kelbaker Rd...Anyone know where the old miners house is? Is it still there?

(Edited by coveybustinchris at 5:39 pm on Jan. 22, 2002)

Grey Taylor

Reaction score
So far it's still open.  But they are trying to close off all predator hunting and probably nibbling away at all other hunting in the future by restricting seasons within the Preserve and possibly closing off other species.

The NPS is removing "unnatural" water sources so that's going to affect animal populations to a great degree.  I'm surprised the animal rights idiots haven't gotten into the fray because of the water removal deal.

Can't say I've ever seen an old miner's house on Kelbaker.  Whereabouts on the road is it?

rlwright

Reaction score
What would be the difference between hunters killing the predators or the predators dying from lack of water?

Maverick

Reaction score
Well, I haven't been out there in so long I forgot all about the cabin, and where it exactly it is. I was just at work and was talking about how the quail season went for me and we got to talking about it. I do remember it having bunk beds, lattern  and canned soup with a sign that said take what you need leave what you can people could stay there first come first serve. There was a log book in there that people would write how the weather was and stuff like that. It also told about the miner who lived there. We alway brought a hammer, nails and some wood to fix the roof or what ever was fallen apart. I was just giving it some though about trying my luck out there.. That and a CHP stopped by my fire station a heard us talking .. He said when he was working out of Needles he took more chukar out there with a state issued shotgun then he ever had anywhere else, all with out ripping there 150 dollar pants

Grey Taylor

Reaction score
rlwright, the NPS has not answered that question.  Nor have they said what will happen to the quail, rabbits, deer, and mountain sheep that depend on that water.

The DFG has said they will fight the NPS usurping their control over hunting seasons and regulations *IF* they hear from enough concerned hunters.

huntducks

Reaction score
Grey Taylor

Did you happen to grow up in Temple City or do you know a Bud Taylor, just a slim chance you do.

Grey Taylor

Reaction score
Sorry, Bro, not me.  I was close, though.  Grew up in South Pasadena until 8th grade and moved to Huntington Beach.  'Fraid I don't know Bud.

T F Coyote

Reaction score
This makes no sense.  If the NPS is adamant the "unatural water sources" need to go, why not allow them to silt up over time, then bury them.  This would allow for a more gradual decrease in animal populations.

Having paid work crews physically remove the guzzlers is "unatural" and a waste of taxpayer money.  There will likely be mass migration/starvation of wildlife.

Let's support the DFG in their efforts to retain control of wildlife management.  If anyone has more infromation on this, please keep us advised.

Swiss Lad

Reaction score
The Recreation Sports Business Association is trying to sue the NPS for the water removal.  There was a petition floating around but I am unable to find it.  As soon as I get better information I'll post it.  There is an existing web sight that occasionally posts stuff concerning not only the Mojave but other locations as well.  www.publicland-publicuse.com

huntducks

Reaction score
Grey

Thanks anyway I knew it was a long shot, but you never know.

Old bud use to raise GSP and use to head out to Mojave to shoot wild burros for dog food before the protection.

karstic

Banned
Reaction score
heck out Jim Matthews column in this weeks WON, he addresses the NPS BS and an organization based in AZ can't remember the name) that wants to start fighting for land access for hunters

Top Bottom