Moon phase and success

cjack

Reaction score
We've all heard of the hunters moon, seen the moon phase charts and have heard the "experts" talk about the "best days to hunt" I'm curious as to how many of you use this information to plan your hunt days. Have any of you found a correlation between the moon and your successes? I'm sure there are many factors determining when you go hunting, work, family time, etc. Most of you hunt when you can but does the moon ever play a part in your planning process? This is what I was thinking about on my hike in at 4:00 this morning as a full moon had me lit up like a spotlight!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

THE ROMAN ARCHER

Reaction score
After all the hunts I did with the full moon they were the toughest hunts ever out of many hunts I have done in the past. So convinced I would never do a paid hunt again for sure if I could avoid it and schedule a non full moon weekend. Especially when its freaking hot during the day they can be more comfortable eating at night under the moonlight move around with ease and see their preditors better then drink and crash by sunlight and chill with very little movement during the day time extreme heat.
That's when u have to be looking under trees where they would be resting and shading, Especially at midday while the hunters are burning up and burning up calories looking for them all day......lol
But that's my experiences and 2 cents
with full moon hunting and hunting....tra

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

cjack

Reaction score
After all the hunts I did with the full moon they were the toughest hunts ever out of many hunts I have done in the past. So convinced I would never do a paid hunt again for sure if I could avoid it and schedule a non full moon weekend. Especially when its freaking hot during the day they can be more comfortable eating at night under the moonlight move around with ease and see their preditors better then drink and crash by sunlight and chill with very little movement during the day time extreme heat.
That's when u have to be looking under trees where they would be resting and shading, Especially at midday while the hunters are burning up and burning up calories looking for them all day......lol
But that's my experiences and 2 cents
with full moon hunting and hunting....tra

Problem with this area is the density of the forest and the dry twigs and pine needles, they know you're there if you try to moved around. Full moon and hot weather might explain why I haven't seen anything yet today. Did find a bear track that wasn't there Wednesday.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Limited Out

Reaction score
20190817_134509.jpg We bass fished yesterday, with not much biting, real slow day. So today we headed for the I.V. leaving early this morning for a bit of scouting and Euro hunting. Two of our regular Hot Spots were non-stop shooting for the first 30 minutes and real steady after that. As fast as you could load your gun, hot barrel action. I had planned mostly to have a look around and work on put together a plan for the upcoming Dove opener. This all changed with these conditions, it could have been a 100+ bird day for four hunters, no problem, if everything had been open. As far as the moon phase goes I think there is more than one factor that causes these birds to move around. The primary factor is available food sources. I have heard since I was a kid that thunderstorms cause the birds to leave an area, I don't believe this. These birds just move around all the time, you need to be crafty enough to find them. I am not saying the moon doesn't play a part, it didn't impact today's action, it was some of the best hunting in the last 10 years, 56 birds and we left for home before noon.

Last edited:

canamrider07

Reaction score
I've tried hunting pigs during a full moon. It's really hard the moon not only has to be full but high in the sky and that always varies at what time that is. I said f it and bought a green light, check out the video I just posted. btw, the pigs could care less about the moon,,,,,,,,,,,

JohnCo

Reaction score
Always seems like I see less deer during a full moon. I still go, and I still do sometimes see deer. But for sure it's less deer.

Bigolwiggler

Reaction score
There is something to the solunar charts. Often times when I start seeing more deer during what I think is an unusual time of day, I check the charts and it shows a peak time for wild game activity. BUT , weather has a big affect on animals also .
I generally don't plan my hunts ONLY by the solunar charts but if the weather is good ( like not 100 degrees outside or not super windy ) I will try to be out in the field during those peak solunar times. Mostly I am out there when I can be , regardless of the charts but I do pay attention to them.
I hate full moon days , I generally see much less.
Just my 2 cents.
BOW

THE ROMAN ARCHER

Reaction score
I hear ya cjack about the Cali crunchiness it makes it hard to get the off the beaten path to explore the woods when it gets so hot and dry without busting game.
Cali hunting seasons don't favor hunters at all the way they are structured and set up they favor the game animal more....tra

Planetcat

Reaction score
I hate hunting when there’s a full moon. This past archery opener weekend was ungodly hot and the moon was like daylight. Most of the deer were seen in the afternoon and last light. Mendo county.

Tuolumne

Reaction score
I live in the foothills on 5 acres. I don't bother during the full moon early season. I know for a fact many of the deer are nocturnal during this phase.

Brnsvllyjohn

Reaction score
We saw less deer than normal but it only takes one in range to make a successful hunt. I missed at 6:30 pm on Sunday afternoon and my buddy did not miss. Decent fork in full velvet. Playing the whole scenario back in my mind over and over I am 90% sure I used the wrong pin even though I ranged him over and over.

dustin ray

Reaction score
We saw less deer than normal but it only takes one in range to make a successful hunt. I missed at 6:30 pm on Sunday afternoon and my buddy did not miss. Decent fork in full velvet. Playing the whole scenario back in my mind over and over I am 90% sure I used the wrong pin even though I ranged him over and over.
As Tred Barta would say it was a Fantastic miss.
Good luck on your next hunt

canamrider07

Reaction score
Tred Barta, loved that guy and his show. "you're the man Barta, you're the man".....I see he just passed away about a week ago, damn.

THE ROMAN ARCHER

Reaction score
Wow there's a name from the past Tred Bartta I also remember watching his shows.
He was a eccentric businessman who loved to hunt if I recall.

As far as moon phase when it would effect my daytime hunting I would then capitalize on the small widows of opportunity and that would be sunrise and sunset for ambush tactics.
Which means trying to get to a area they might be bedding in before the sun comes up and setting up on the main trail to intercept them as they are heading back to the bedding area after being out all night before the sun fully comes out at legal shooting time.
Then of course the day time hunting would b nill.
The other opportunity is at sunset I would set up outside the bedding area off the main trail out about 45 minutes before sunset legal shooting time and hopefully ambush them as they are heading out to feed at night though the moon phase.
Like I said it's all about timing and some luck being in the right place at the right time and hopefully it all comes together for a successful hunt.
So when the moon phase is making your daytime hunting tuff that's when I would focus on the sunrise and sunset windows of opportunity.....tra

cjack

Reaction score
The moon is diminishing and this week and activity should be better, I plan on putting in some time on Mon, Tues and Wednesday. Even so I still plan on using the same tactics that TRA mentioned in the previous post, catching them between feeding and bedding early morning and late evening. It's still pretty warm out and I don't anticipate too much movement during the day. I may still spend the day quietly stalking the forest hoping to pick up new clues as to where they are traveling to and from, it's much too thick to try any glassing where I plan to hunt.

Top Bottom