Moon Phases and Blacktails

Reaction score
I was curious If anyone has ever noticed a correlation between the phases of the moon and Blacktail/Mule deer activity. In my experience it seems that there is an effect on the deer but I was wondering if anyone else had an opinion.

bux-n-dux

Reaction score
I have always noticed alot more movement at night during full moon phases. I have seen the most blacktails in pre-dawn and breaking dawn times during the full moon. I am always up and in my spot or on the hill early, but make it more of a point do be so during the full moons. I've also seen alot more game in general during these times.

bux-n-dux

suavegato

Reaction score
I've never noticed a difference myself, however both my father & grandfather, who have killed more blacktails than most of us will ever see in a life time had both always told me that they didn't like to hunt when there was a full moon. Reason being that they felt or noticed that the deer were out more at night, could see & get around better, watch for predators better, so fed more and thus bedded down more during the day...? No imperical data for that, just some old timers who lived with blacktails on homesteads in No Cal for about 100 years...
biGjOhn

Haary1

Reaction score
I have to agree with the last two people who posted comments. The deer are a lot more active in the night during a full moon and it has been my experience that they stay out feeding longer. So you have a better change of catching a buck heading back to his bedding area early in the morning.

Haary

dlovato

Reaction score
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (bux-n-dux @ Jul 5 2008, 11:00 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I have always noticed alot more movement at night during full moon phases.
bux-n-dux[/b]
Me too - think of a great big spotlight (the moon) allowing those deer to see more acorns on the ground.

Hunting hasn't changed much with me however - full/no moon etc - weather at time in the season (early late) appears to have more of an impact on my success or lack thereof, than does the moon phase.

- Darryl

Whoadog

Reaction score
I have always had good luck in the middle of the day after a full moon night, I hunt A zone where it is very hot and I think they are out for water and a snack.

Brian

tmoniz

Banned
Reaction score
Actually. When there was a full moon. The ranches I worked and hunted on in NorCal. We didn't see deer during the Day.
We would sit in the Orchards at night when the Moon lit them up. You wouldn't believe the bucks we would see feeding in the orchards at night. Couldn't find them the next day.
I still to this day watch the phases of the moon before I go on a hunting trip.
It's just old school thinking that my Dad taught me.

Common Sense

Reaction score
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (suavegato @ Jul 5 2008, 11:08 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I've never noticed a difference myself, however both my father & grandfather, who have killed more blacktails than most of us will ever see in a life time had both always told me that they didn't like to hunt when there was a full moon. Reason being that they felt or noticed that the deer were out more at night, could see & get around better, watch for predators better, so fed more and thus bedded down more during the day...? No imperical data for that, just some old timers who lived with blacktails on homesteads in No Cal for about 100 years...
biGjOhn[/b]

I've never paid much attention myself, but my dad and grandfathers told me the same thing.

upcedarcreek

Reaction score
All you guys talking about hearing this from your dads and grandfathers make me feel old!
It has been my experience that deer are much harder to find during the daytime around the full moon. Two weeks later in the same area it seems like there are a lot more deer.

suavegato

Reaction score
If I had my "druthers" I'd prefer to hunt the day after a moonless night that blew & stormed like a banshee... Then calmed down and had the sun come out right after daylight! BINGO! :)

AimHigh

Reaction score
Just for fun I'll respectfully disagree. The deer feed at night no matter what. I think the full moon makes it easier for predators (like tmoniz) to see them. I think temperature, wind, and photoperiod have more to do with movement. Having stated that, I would not be surprised if I was wrong.

tmoniz

Banned
Reaction score
Actually AimHigh. The full moon on one ranch I worked on made it easy for the "poachers" to see the deer. And the cattle rustlers.
Which was who we were after.
Not to mention the fact that the full moon made it easy for other individuals to steal our hay without using any sort of light other than the moon.

What's interesting is when there is no moon. Deer tend to feed early in the morning on sun facing slopes.

Top Bottom