Moon Phases and deer

VA Hunter

Reaction score
Howdy,

I was wondering, how is the behavior of a deer related to moon phases?  In other words, how can I use moon phases to improve my hunting?  Thanks,

Bubba

Jon Bain

Reaction score
VA Hunter, I am going to guide you to a book by David Morris called Advanced Strategies for Hunting Trophy Whitetails.  In it he has a chapter on this that is explained in every day English so we common folks can under stand.

There are some good ideas in there that he presents from studying the deer patterns in relation to the moon phases over many years.

StringShooter

Reaction score
I really don't enjoy hunting during a full moon. There is nothing like getting out of your truck on a clear morning with a full moon and not even needing a flashlight to walk to your stand ( I do use one though for safety). Last year I had my plans on hunting a certain 3 days that was during a full moon and didn't do very well. I was busting deer out of the fields on my way in like crazy..

It appears to me that the deer on my farm leave the fields and go to bedding areas earlier during a full moon. This may also mean that they move earlier in the afternoon but I am mainly a morning hunter and didn't wait to see last year.

I just like the time during a new moon when it is pitch dark in the mornings. I just see more deer on those days.

rutnduck

Reaction score
I've found that deer tend to move late in the morning ona  full moon, like around 10-11:30am has historically been good for me.

The is another book which Myles Keller assisted writing, can't rmemeber the name off the top of my head, Moonstruck or something like that.  very interesting reading, we played with the phases a few years back with some success, mainly tracking the kills with the phases rather than hunting the prime times, but we found that most of our kills were within 45-60 minutes fo a major or minor moon phase, (either the moon is directly over head or underfoot).

Latest Posts

Top Bottom