More pics from Alabama

OhioBowHunter

Reaction score
Nice Pictures, Nice and clear.. Looks like a couple of them Does are ready to drop a Volkswagon and second...

BTW... Question for you... how do you guys post several pics on 1 page like that... I have never figured that out

Dan

skeeterbait

Reaction score
Your pics must first be hosted on a webserver somewhere. Then you use UBB code and the URL address of the picture in your post to make it display. Jesses hosts pics for you if you would like, that is what I am using. Look at the top of the forum pages and find a link called "photo/video Gallery" and click on it. Looks for another link that says "upload photos". If you do not see this link, click on "login" and log in. Then start over and you will see the "upload photos" link. Click "browse" and find the pic on your computer and then click "upload submit". fill in the next page and submit it also. You have now started your member's gallery of photos. Continue to upload your pictures until you have the ones you want in your member's gallery. Then look for a link that says "my gallery". Click on it and you will see your pictures. Click on a picture to open it and then scroll down till you see "UBBCode" this string is what you need to cut and paste into your post to display the picture. Cut and paste multiple strings from multiple pictures into the same post, and you display multiple pictures in the same post.

Hope this helps, it is really easy once you do it a few times.

OhioBowHunter

Reaction score
Thanks Skeeter...

I am going to save this thread and try that whe I want to post Pics sometime, sure makes it noce for viewing and loading...

Thanks again

Dan

Minnesota bear

Reaction score
Looks like cuddeback pics only better also they really like something on the ground I can't tell what Great pics

skeeterbait

Reaction score
They are Cuddeback pics Bear how can you tell that? I modified the Cuddeback by putting anti-reflective coated glass in the window in front of the camera lens. It helps cut the glare that makes some Cuddeback pics look hazy. I think Non-Typical is really missing the boat by putting that piece of scratched up lexan in front of the camera.

The stuff on the ground is a protein pellit sold in an unmarked bag by a local archery shop. I do not know who makes it, but they really like it.

PaPaBob

Reaction score
skeeterbait: I was just about ready to send my Cuddeback back to them for repairs because I am not happy with the "Focus" of my camera and this "hazy" look to the pictures. I have had it a year and until I started building my own I was happy with the pictures. But I have found that there is a lot to be desired from better camera setups.

But, now you tell me that a simple fix of the lens glas will do the job. How did you get the case open to perform this function or should I ask them to do it. I guess my warranty is up now anyway and since we are are hacking and doing it ourself it would be okay. Please give me a little start on breaking into the upper part of the case to install better glass.

Here is a picture that should have been crystal clear as the light is fine but I can't even clear it up with PhotoShop.

Attachments

skeeterbait

Reaction score
Hey Bob, nice racks on that avatar!
Thy are holding some pretty good racks too!

remove the battery cover and there are two philips head screws. remove these first. The cam cover is glued down with some kind of double adheasive foam. Pry up on it slowly and the foam will seperate allowing the cover to come off. There are no connections between the board and cover so no need to worry pulling any wires apart etc.

The lens I used is a flash light replacement lens from http://www.flashlightlens.com I used their anti-reflective glass lens they sell under the name UCL. I removed the lexan and glued it in place using marine goop. I then cut a strip of double adheasive foam weather stripping to reassemble the case.

Keep a little good quality glasses cleaner and some q-tips in your camera pack to clean and polish the lens in the field.

PaPaBob

Reaction score
skeeterbait: Thanks for the heads up here. I am headed north to my lease to check cameras. I have 4 out right now. I am bringing back the Cuddeback and will perform the operation and surgery necessary to bring up to speed. Thanks much for the instructions and I will keep you posted with the resulting pictures.

Have you suggested this to Cuddeback? They need to fix this thing if that's all that is necessary.

skeeterbait

Reaction score
No, havent said anything to them. Don't know if this is all it will take on all of them, but it is bound to improve them to some degree. When you open the cam, you will see that the camera on the board is threaded to adjust focus, but they use a bead of glue to lock it in place. Mine did not need focusing, but some may.

PaPaBob

Reaction score
Skeeterbait: I just picked up my Cuddeback and only had a couple of junk pictures on it. When facing the camera unit it seems the fresnel lens is on the left and the Camera is on the right. Is that what you have found. The fresnel lens seems to have the grooves out rather than in like we usually do with ours. I thought this to be realy out of character and I question if they have it placed backwards. I did have some work done on it a while back and they may have replaced that lens. Now the camera looks kind of funny with a red dot in the middle. Is that correct as recall. The lens on the right side is clear but but not terrible so. It certainly needs cleaning but when you said scratched up lexan was in front of your camera lens. Was it clear but just a mess with scratches and stuff?

I will be taking it apart this evening.

skeeterbait

Reaction score
The fresnel does go with the grooves out unlike the pixcontroller fresnels. Don't know why, but it works that way so I leave it at that. The lexan on mine looked clear when just glancing at it, but when removed and held up to a light I could see it was covered with faint scratches. Of course I did not discover this until I removed it. That just made me that much more glad I had decided to replace it. My original reason for replacing it was to gain the advantage of the anti-reflective coated glass. I wear eyeglasses with anti-reflective coating and the reduction of glare is great. When you polish them the glass dissappears for all practicle purposes. These coated flashlight lenses are the same way. It stood to reason to me that if high quality cameras, binoculars and scopes use anti-reflective coatings, the Cuddeback would benifit from them also.

PaPaBob

Reaction score
Could you be specific as to the size that you purchased from flashlightlens.com They have a number of sizes and thicknesses. 19.8, 29.1, and 29.1 UCL Thin. They sell for $7. Is this the right lens that you are talking about. They also have aUCL with a Lexan coating but that is what got these cameras in trouble in the first place, right?

Thanks for the help. I want to order the lens today to get the camera back in working order as quick as possible.

skeeterbait

Reaction score
You do not want the ones with the disfusion coating! That is made to scatter light. I think the ones I ordered were the 29mm regular UCL. My cams are in the woods so I cannot check. measure the window with something that measures in milimeters and it will be just a few milimeters smaller than one of their sizes.

Stu

Reaction score
The quality of those pictures is great. Very sharp and clear. I hunt up your way in Lowndes County. Do you know a Jim Abbett in Prattville?

skeeterbait

Reaction score
Sorry Stu, I don't know him. I used to hunt Lowndes, for 21 years on the same lease. Unfortunately the land owner died and his son took the place over and put the lease up for sealed bid and we lost. I am now hunting in Autauga. We were near Calhoun in Lowndes county, what part do you hunt?

Stu

Reaction score
Near a little town called Braggs. We lease about 12,000 acres that is all contiguious. Nice deer up that way.

PaPaBob

Reaction score
Skeeterbait: Thanks for the tips about the Cuiddeback. I have opened it up and removed the lens "scratched plastic". Really bad. I have also ordered the glass replacement as you recommended and hope to have it back in the field the day after it arrives. I will have everything ready to go when it gets here. I taped a piece of regular glass over the lens and took some pictures. Even that was remarkable.

I have never been happy with the flash distance either. So, I am going to experiement with a flash enhancer while I have the case opened up and see if we can get this thing really putting out.

Will keep you posted on progress.

skeeterbait

Reaction score
Let me know how the flash enhancer works out. I have been thinking about that myself. Maybe you can trade me a tip back!

There is not a lot of lip to glue the lens over the opening as it is just a few milimeters difference. I used a brush to put a thin coating on the rim of the opening and carefully placed the lens centered over the opening. Once that had dried, I went back and used more glue around the edge of the lens to build up a "shoulder" of glue to better hold it in place. Be careful not to get the adhesive on the part of the glass you do not want.

PaPaBob

Reaction score
skeeterbait: I have installed the new lens glass and am now looking for some thin two sided tape to seal back the camera case. Having a hard time finding some of this stuff real thin. I have carpet tape but it has fibers in it as compared to some kind of thin foam. Any recommendations.

As soon as that is done the cam will go back to the woods for testing.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom