More than one deer per day

wvhunter

Reaction score
WV has a proposed reg change that would allow a person to take more than one deer per day, if the first deer has been checked in (assumeing it goes into effect).  Up until now it always has been only 1 deer per day.  I was just wondering if the state you hunt in allowed you to take more than 1 deer per day and if so does it changes the way you hunt.

(Edited by wvhunter at 3:16 pm on June 21, 2002)

ToddP

Banned
Reaction score
You can now in PA.  I think the rule is you need to tag the deer before shooting another.

pigsdaddy

Reaction score
I live in Florida, but I hunt in Alabama.  We are allowed to take one doe and one buck each day for the entire season.  Bow season usually starts around Oct 15 and guns season ends on Jan 31.  I am glad that we do not have top fool with any kind of tags.  

Jon Bain

Reaction score
Hunting in GA most of my life and then moving to AL is a change.  Now in GA you can shoot 10 does and 2 bucks.  One of the bucks has to be at least four points on one side.  You can take all twelve deer in one day if you have the opportunity.  Does it change the way someone hunts?  I'd say yes, but not in a bad way.  For instance in GA I sit on my stand and shoot a doe and watch her drop.  I continue to sit and shoot another doe 15 minutes later and watch her run into the brush but hear her fall.  Continuing to sit for another hour I see and shoot a third doe.  By this time I'm thinking, "man I have a lot of work to do, but it is only about 9:00 AM and I want to at least stay until 10:00 AM”.  After thirty minutes pass I hear something behind me and catch a glimpse of a nice wall hanging buck easing through the brush.  He offers a shot and I take it.  I end up with four deer in one day.  Does this always happen?  Not hardly, but it has with me on several occasions.

There have been many a time I've taken three does in a morning’s hunt.  I also like to let the doe lay in case a buck is on her trail.  Many a time I’ve shot two does and let them lay and then had a buck walk in and check out the doe.  If he was a shooter I’d take him, but if not I’d let him walk.  Last year a six point chased a doe out into a clear cut and right in front of me.  I shot the doe, watched her run a little way and fall over dead.  The six pointer was with her the whole way and never left.  I watched for an hour as he kicked at her, lifted her leg with his head, lipped curled, bedded next to her, stood up and kicked at her again.  This went on and on until I got down and ran him off.  

You may ask, do I shoot more than the state allows? NO and never will.  Do I try to shoot every deer I see?  NO and never will.  Does this opportunity influence me to do anything illegal?  NO not that I can think of.  

If in a state that only allows one deer a day the day would be over after the first doe or I would have left the does waiting on a buck, but being that I prefer to cull does from the heard, I shoot them.  And I’m speaking from experience here, having to clean four deer all after a morning’s hunt is not fun.  Two is bad enough.  

Also keep in mind that where I hunt it is easy to see this many deer in a mornings hunt.  Sometimes there may be a group of four or five does or you may find a doe and a buck together and then wait an hour and see four more does.  Also if hunting an agriculture field like soybeans you can see many deer at one time.

One other thing, in GA you have a tag system, but you do not attach the tag to the deer.  You just mark the tag with the date and sex of the animal you harvest.  You keep this as part of the hunting licenses and in your wallet.

MBullism

Reaction score
12 deer in one day? LOL  Some years I go the whole season without seeing 12 deer!  year before last I saw almost 30, last year I saw only 1, and he was delicious!  In mass you can only take two per year, and  you could take both the same day.  part of the state you have to tag the first one first, part of the state you don't.  there is also a provision to take more than 2, if you have valid tags for the correct zones...

Drayton

Reaction score
Here in Florida we have a limit of 2 deer per day. In archery season we can take either bucks or doe. Muzzleloading gun and general gun can take 2 bucks per day and doe by permit. Also, we have a special doe season "weekend."

Hey Jon Bain, If you need any help with all thoes deer running around your hunting area, I volunteer!
:bounce-aqua:

coyote170

Reaction score
Wish MO felt that way our deer lease could use some thinning out!!

Brad

Reaction score
In NY it depends where you are hunting and what you are hunting with , rifle , bow , BP
We have to apply for doe tags and can take one buck. Some areas are getting so over run with deer that something better be done or we will have sick deer here too.

TScottW99

Reaction score
Virginia only allows you to take one deer a day.  The same goes with all big animals in this common wealth.

gobblestopper

Banned
Reaction score
I hunt in both GA and SC with regularity. I see know change in the way you hunt when being able to kill multiple deer in one day other than staying on stand and waiting for others to come into range.
Majority of multiple kills on same day occur when multiple deer are traveling together. Last year I killed 2 does on 11/11 and 3 on 12/15. All of these came as fast as I could chamber a round. If you can kill "x" amount of deer a year, why should it matter how many of those are taken in one day? The folks at hunters feeding the hungry  were glad to see two brought in to them that morning, more eating than 1 thats for sure.  

rutnduck

Reaction score
NC allows 2 per day, only 6 per year and most of the state is only 2 bucks per season.

Gus

Reaction score
In Texas the number of deer you can kill depends on where you hunt, but you could take all the deer in one day.  The only downfall then would be that your deer hunting is over until the next season.  

MBullism

Reaction score
Mass update-  Looking over the regs for the upcoming fall.  Looks like we can now take two antlered deer (3"+) and one antlerless with permit...

KIDKY

Reaction score
only allowed one per day her in KY, same way with turkeys

Freedom

Reaction score
Dang ToddP, we need to move ourselves down south!  12 deer? or one buck and one doe for each day of the season?!  Can you imagine!  Heck, I'm not even that old and I can remember growing up when it was 1 buck OR 1 doe FOR THE ENTIRE SEASON!  That was just back in the 80's!  You guys certainly are fortunate down south.  I love PA and I guess if you hunt the Special Regs areas and have yourself a honeyhole you could do the same (unlimited doe tags).  With this years new regs and the increase in antlerless allocations I'd say without hunting special regulations areas I can MAYBE scrap up 3 doe and 1 buck tag.  Like Todd said, I believe we can take more than 1 per day as long as the previous deer are tagged before you bag another one.

Jon Bain

Reaction score
I don’t have my AL regs. in front of me, but if one was fortunate enough to be able to hunt everyday, and even more fortunate to be able to take a buck and a doe each day a person could end up with somewhere in the neighborhood of 180 deer during gun season alone.  Throw in another 30 days of bow season and the total would be around 240 deer.  Of course I don’t know the exact number of days in the season, but with bow season it is about 4 months worth.  I’ve never met anyone who took anywhere near this number of deer, but I have spoke with guys who have taken twenty plus deer in a season.  The bad thing was that half of those were young small bucks.  

Back when I started hunting in GA around the late 70’s we had a tag system and you could take two bucks and one doe.  Then they gave the bow hunters two extra doe tags.  So that if you bow hunted you could take a total of 3 does and two bucks.  The very next year after that they made the two extra doe tags standard for all hunters so that the limit for deer season was five of which two were bucks.  This lasted quite a few years and then they upped the anti again in 2000 giving hunters three more doe tags for a total of eight deer of which only two could be antlered bucks.  Now in 2002 they have given us four more doe tags giving us a total of 10 does and two bucks.  This will be the first year that there is an antler requirement on one of the two bucks meaning it has to have at least four points on one side.  Even with all this you could end your season real quick if you harvest all your deer in a single day.

Also keep in mind that does could only be harvested on specific days of the season, but that increased along with the tags and now in at least half of the state the doe days run the entire length of the season.  We also dropped the requirement of having to place the tag on the animal.  Now you have to punch your tag with the date and sex of the animal and keep it with you.  No check in has ever been required as long as I’ve been hunting except on drawn WMA hunts.

I’m not complaining and enjoy the ability to hunt a lot and harvest a lot, but it kind of worries me in that are the increase due to the large population of deer in the state?  I would say yes and if we do not get the population under control by harvesting the deer allotted to us then we may see a suffering deer heard due to over grazed habitat and disease.

(Edited by Jon Bain at 7:13 pm on June 26, 2002)

wapiti

Reaction score
KIDKY,

There is no daily limit on deer in KY.  The season limit is two or 4 in restricted counties or no limit in zone 1.  Most counties you can take as many does as you have bought tags for.  Only 1 antlered buck may be taken statewide.

sven

Reaction score
In Illinois you are only limited by the number of permits you can obtain, BUT you can only take 2 antlered deer per year PERIOD.  There are no limits on the number you can take per day as long as you have the permit to do so.  

Top Bottom