more thoughts

bat

Reaction score
Just some thoughts while they are fresh in my head.  I was thinking a little while ago about a way to get rid of the screws on the lids on 6x6x4 boxes after seeing Arch's latch on the sqeaker post.  you might be able to put some spring loaded hinges on one side and a lockable latch on the other side or make a diagonal bracket or crisscross to go behind the screwholes and screw them in from the inside with bolts ends sticking out the back.  You would need to offset the X in the middle to create pressure.  Drill and thread a hole in the middle of the X, drill a bolt hole in the middle of the lid and replace the 4 bolts with one bolt...would save a little time removing the lid.  What do you think?

max

Reaction score
You got me their? How about a picture of that.....:confused-yellow:

bat

Reaction score
I'll see if I can fix one on a box I have tomorrow max hehe, I knew that would get some questions, but it will work if you do it right.  The only thing is getting your camera out might be a problem.  I'll try one and see.

TNDEERHUNTER

Reaction score
I did make one with studs threaded into the box.I went to Lowes and got 4 threaded rods 1/4 x 20 thread on one side and thread the same as the screws that go in the box on the other side.I used epoxy to set the rods in the box. Then I used wing nuts to hold the lid on. It's not thief proof but it keeps me from taking a screwdriver with me. I like the hinge idea.

davered1

Reaction score
bat , heres your pic. Now I have to reread thread to understand
:smiley-thumbs-up:

bat

Reaction score
Thanks davered1 for the picture.  Ok max....this is as close as I can come to giving you a picture of what I was talking about up above.  If you made something similiar to this to fit inside the 6X6X4 or the aluminum boxes (that is if the screwmounting holes will allow it) you could drill a center bolt hole in the plate that originally screwed shut with 4 screw, and just use the one screw to bolt it on.  You would need to ''fit'' the X bracket with slotted holes to allow alignment, screw it in place behind the 4 mounting places, using long screws so that they would come out and serve as alignment pins for the plate, drill and thread a hole in the center of the X, place the back plate on and screw it down with one screw.

I checked in ACE hardware today and the Storm/Screen springloaded hinges would work really well I think if you wanted to go with the hinges instead of the X bracket.  A little modification to the stopping point of the hinges to get them to close to a 90* angle would have to be done with a jig saw...no big deal. Modify the mounting holes with dremal tool so that you could use carriage bolts with nuts inside.  Put a locking hasp on the other side so that it would pull the lid down tightly would make the box secure.  Sorry about being long winded but wanted to explain this as fully as I could.

(Edited by bat at 9:39 pm on Mar. 6, 2002)

max

Reaction score
Thanks Bat,
I think I get It? Keep the thought work coming.....
          MAX

Latest Posts

Advertisement

Top Bottom