• The forum is now running on the Xenforo platform. The first time you log in here, you may have to reset your password by doing a password recovery. Your login info will be sent to the email you have listed on your account; please check your spam or junk folders if you don't see it in your inbox. If that address is invalid, obviously you won't get the email: In that case, use the contact form or the envelope icon at the top right of the header to send us your member name and a current valid email address.

Mosin 91/30 Sporty Project

DirtyDave

Banned
For all the Purist guys that hate when people cut up mil-surp rifles, here you go.
Started out as one of the cleanest 91/30's I've ever seen. Drilled and tapped for the scope mount, cut barrel to 22", cut stock, added pistol grip and recoil pad. Gonna thread the barrel and turn out a muzzle break next.
Didnt know how I wanted to paint the stock. My 10yr old girl was painting some xmas decorations white at the time and said "you should paint it white". I said "white?", then thought about it and decided to try the snow camo.

LuckyGunner

Sport Mosin

I'm normally one of those guys that doesn't like a sporterized military rifle. With there being so many Mosins it doesn't seem like such a crime though. :thumbs up2: I have to say that you did a great job. The winter camo is befitting a Mosin.

Did you clean up the action at all, and what are the plans for the rifle?

DirtyDave

Banned
Did you clean up the action at all, and what are the plans for the rifle?
I have not touched the action. I have not even fired a round through it yet. I bought it specifically to sport it out. Gonna shoot some surplus ammo this weekend in the desert.
It is going to be a Varmint/Beater/Truck gun. I am going to Load up some lighter bullets for it and see what is the lightest I can go and still be accurate. 110-125gr is what I'm thinking. Lower recoil, flatter trajectory, etc

Last edited:

k_rad

dang dude how did I miss this? That is sweet. I want to shoot it. Is that what you want cat hunting with this past weekend?

DirtyDave

Banned
No I took my 12ga last weekend.
I finally took the Mosin out to the range and shot some of the mexi-match ammo that I loaded. I have a ton of the surplus corrosive steel case stuff, so I pulled the fmj bullets and reloaded them with some .310 123gr Hornady soft points and some .310 108gr Barnes RRLP's. The hornady's shot real nice 1.25" groups, but the Barnes were about a 5" group.
I am going to buy some new brass and start with all new components instead of re-using the surplus stuff. I am also going to try some .308 110gr V-max, and some .308 Sinterfire Frangibles.

Top Bottom