Most Expensive Ammo You've Shot?

inchr48

Not sure what forum to post this to but, what is the most expensive factory round you've ever shot?

I'm looking at a box of CorBon DPX 44 Mag loads. Marked 225 gr DPX 1350 fps, 911 ft lbs. (DPX44M225/20).

These are a serious deep HP, with the usual 6 petals. They are not supposed to stabilize in the slow twist of my Marlin 1894, but I have the TC Contender also.

20 rounds, $52.95 = $2.65 / ea.

I bought these since a high-school friend of mine that has worked in the firearms retail business for 30 years was recently fired, and re-hired at another shop that opened. I bought them to help out his "rep" with the new Boss.

I know the solid copper 12 ga slugs are pricy too, I'll have to do the math.

What made you have buyer's remorse?

Did it shoot?

Meat in the freezer = good investment. I figure gas is $3.25 - $4.00 now. A bullet at half that is a small part of the hunting investment. "One and down" has always been a mantra of mine.

Common Sense

Can't remember the cost, but when non-lead ammo became mandatory in my area, a box of copper .270 shells was about that pricey. And since I needed to "sight them in", I bought 2 boxes.

Ran a few lead bullets through before I switched to copper; and my old Remington Gamemaster shot the copper a little better than the lead at 100 yards. Son's Winchester had about 6" difference from lead to copper.

Save the condor!

16onrockandroll

.338 Lapua. Some Hornady stuff at a show and shoot display at the gun club, about $112/ 20, and visiting a friend in NV, some match grade .50 BMG stuff I think was around $10-15/rd. Only a couple shots of each since I wasn't buying though. Otherwise, probably shotgun sabots.

asaxon

Shooting $10 bills

Rigby .416 goes for about $11.00 per round. I have to admit I have never used it but my "mate" from VA who has hunted all over the world does owns a rifle for it. I'll have to ask him to try it next time I'm there. Unfortunately, my work trip to VA in Nov got cancelled so I won't be able to sneak in some hunting there with him. I did look at one review of the ammo and loved where the reviewer did 3 groups of 3 shots to check out the ammo -that's about 100 down range. But I guess if you are going to hunt something this round is suitable for (Cape Buffalo, Elephant, Yetti), 11/round is not much compared to your other costs.

Incher48 - what is the new Avatar. I'm going put mine back to "lobster season".

Last edited:

inchr48

asaxon, new avatar is a bachelor group of 3 Whitetail Bucks taken a couple years ago. They are about 350 yards behind my house in the picture. I've never seen the center one from my stand, just preseason. I nicknamed him "The Pope", since I first saw him on consecutive Sundays (and he has a tall "hat"). The year before this picture he was a 10 pointer with 12" tines. I suspect my 9 pointer was an offspring of his.

I figured since it is deer season here, (archery at least), I may as well post a deer avatar.

inchr48

Yeah, but I've grown to love those BB's. Blue and Yellow are a couple of my favorite colors.

I have a 44 Mag load from them called "Deer Grenade". I can't wait to test.............

Top Bottom