• The forum is now running on the Xenforo platform. The first time you log in here, you may have to reset your password by doing a password recovery. Your login info will be sent to the email you have listed on your account; please check your spam or junk folders if you don't see it in your inbox. If that address is invalid, obviously you won't get the email: In that case, use the contact form or the envelope icon at the top right of the header to send us your member name and a current valid email address.

most users

dthome

It just doesn’t seem like that’s possible. This place is so slow. I wonder if it’s a result of bots.

Bankrunner

Bunch a bots getting after it early in the morning makes some sense.
They can't hold a candle to the real deal though, we've got trout and salmon getting ready to go in the smoker.

MariotheBarber

They can't hold a candle to the real deal though, we've got trout and salmon getting ready to go in the smoker.
What? Where? Hahaha I’ve gotten really into smoking salmon on my little charcoal smoker, I’ve been thinking of going to pull out some stocked trout from the local pond to throw on the smoker one of these days, haven’t smoked trout in a while now. How do you do yours?

Bankrunner

It's always a long time between smokes and a different brine recipe each time. This time it was Hank Shaw's recipe from hunter angler cook, it's a very simple brine of just water, brown sugar and Kosher salt. The salmon brine had a little more sugar in it and called for the fillets to be basted with honey or maple syrup while smoking. We basted ours with a honey and brown sugar mix and a couple drops of water to dissolve the sugar, go light on the water to start you can always add a little more if needed. Turned out really good, but the trout had a little bitter after taste that i think came from the bark on the apple wood trimmings from the back yard. I'll spend the money on alder chips for the next batch and use the same recipe.
If you want you can check out the trout threads for the story on the trout and the salmon where caught by me and a couple friends on God's pond aka the pacific.
Have fun out there and I hope your happy with that big 6lb'er if you decide to do the mount.

MariotheBarber

I guess you could say in kosher salt and brown sugar haha... since I have no access to catching my own salmon, I just get it from the store. I find that Atlantic salmon is better with a dry brine, and pacific salmon is better with a wet brine. Trout I’ve only smoked with a wet brine, but then again Im using a cheap charcoal bullet smoker from Lowes... I do need to smoke some salmon soon, have’t done that in a couple months..

Top Bottom