motion detector circuit board

realtree

Reaction score
Has anyone experienced trouble with the circuit boards after they have gotten a little wet.  Mine just doesn't work after I discovered a leak in the ammo can.  Should I buy a new one or would it be possible or worth my time to try and fix it??
thanx

Archilochus

Reaction score
Hi realtree,
Dry the board *completely* - use a blow dryer or heat gun (set to low heat).  Test to see if it's working.  If not, remove power and check board for traces of corrosion - fine, white, dusty looking stuff on surface of board.  Many inexpensive PC boards are not cleaned very well and the flux residue can absorb water and become "active" - causing corrosion.  Even a small trace of this conductive corrosion can screw up the analog portions of the sensor circuit.
If you suspect corrosion is the problem, clean the board with 99% isopropyl alcohol available from drug stores (not the 70% stuff from supermarkets)

Good Luck!
Archilochus

Tinhorn

Reaction score
Do what Archy said and it "Probably" will dry out and be ok

I had my 1st one get wet and it took up the remaining roll of film one after another.  At least as fast as the timer would allow it to, and naturally the date/time stamped work then, half the time It's not visible when it's a real animal......

The way it got wet was what was surprising.  

I had drilled two - 1/8" holes in the upper end of the enclosure sides and used long shoe strings to go thru the holes (to tie the unit on trees).  I had knotted the ends at the holes and used Glue to seal it against rain but the water apparently ran down "INSIDE the core of the string and dripped into the box, was at least 2 tablespoons in there......

This was a Nestle Choco-box Cam and there is no other way water could have entered.....

Just a word of warning,  I guess I'll put an EYE in the holes and seal it that way

Tinhorn

(Edited by Tinhorn at 12:11 pm on Oct. 19, 2001)

Latest Posts

Top Bottom