motion sickness

wildlifedesigner

Reaction score
I really want to go ocean fishing again, but not with the results I had last time. I would like to know what is the best device, or medicine to deal with Motion Sickness. Is it pretty much luck that it works or is there something that will work 100%

Grey Taylor

Reaction score
I get sick at the drop of a hat when I'm on boats.  I had the best success with the patch medicines that go behind your ear, I think the drug is called scopalomine.  I got the most frequent side effect, drymouth.  But it was way better than barfing.

I had so-so results with the different pills.

To learn a bit about seackness get the little book, "Heave Ho! My Little Green Book of Seackness," by Charles Mazel.  ISBN 0-87742-324-5  It's really well written and has a lot of interesting history as well as information on mal de mer.

You could always try this:

So that you will not become sick on a ship:  Grind fleabane and wormwood together in olive oil and vinegar, and rub on the nostrils frequently.                    
Pseudo-Apuleius Platonicus, Herbarius, 2nd Century AD

m57jager

Reaction score
On top of whatever medicine you're going to take, make sure you always have a full stomach.  So many people don't eat because they think they'll puke it up but it's the exact opposite.  Make sure it's good hardy, fill your gut food too.  Food good, beer bad!!!!  :throwup-yellow::puke-blue::drink-spit:

limit7

Reaction score
Is there anyway to get a patch without going to a doctor?  and are the patches OK for 12 year old kids to use?

Grey Taylor

Reaction score
I *think* they de-prescriptionized the patches a few years ago.  You could ask your local pharmicist for up-to-date news as well as the suitability for 12 year olds.

EL CAZADOR

Kiss The Ring
Reaction score
I always use Dramamine.  I've never been sick on a boat when I take it.  They now have the non-drowsy available.  I always have something in my stomach when I take it and always drink it with a ton of water.  Take it about and hour before you launch and you should be okay.  If you're going overnight, take another in the morning to be safe, it's not a chance I'm willing to take.

rusman66

Reaction score
Im with m57jager, at the slightest bit of sickness choke down a greasy cheeseburger. with extra fishscales.   Ten minutes you will be back in the game.

(Edited by rusman66 at 2:51 pm on June 12, 2002)

Mojave

Reaction score
I used to use Dramamine, but I found they made me drymouthed and drowsy. Now, I eat a good breakfast - not extremely greasy, but B & G or chicken-fried-steak wouldn't be out of the question. About 1/2 hour before we go out, I take Bonine. I will sometimes sip a cold beer if the water is rough, even at 6 AM. I find it helps keep the stomach in line. (Remember, I didn't say guzzle 6 beers!) When the swells are high, and people are barfing all around you, for God's sake, don't go down below, or stare at the waves. Keep your eyes focused out at the horizon, breathe the fresh air, sip your beer, do a little fishing, and maybe offer the green guy next to you a bite of a live sardine sandwich.

Nino

Reaction score
I did an east coast charter last year and my brother was chumming real bad all day.  Looking at him and the smell almost got me too.  I got talking to the mate and they always have around one person sick per trip.  These were his tips.

1.  DON'T have a full stomach, just have one poptart (not both) or a slice of bread for breakfast to absorb the fluids in your stomach.  Saltines are good to snack on for the trip.

2.  Take the motion pills the night before to get them in your system and then again in the morning.

3.  Get a good nights rest.

Good luck

tinner

Reaction score
although i don't need the plls or patch if i don't have food in my stomach i will start to feel quezy. espically if i get a wiff of the diesel exhaust.  i have a ver good friend who had his kids on 1/2 a patch at 7 and 8 years old but you should still check with a pharmists first. and i do give my kids one pill the night before and one in the morning after food usually doughnuts and milk.

d trees

Reaction score
They have a drink in a can that guys swear by and I cant remember the name of it , it has a picture of a clipper ship on it and is purple , also have friends that use the patch and has worked for them .

Bryan it depends where your fishing in So Cal ESP near shore waters its nothing like No Cal , So Cal on its worst day is an average day up notrh esp above Point Conception,d

lostagain

Reaction score
I used to get really sick and here are some of the things that I have tried. All seem to help, some more than others. Make sure you have some food in your stomach. Eat something which sits well with you (McD's is good for me). Go easy on the Greasy food. Get plenty of rest prior to the trip and don't stay up too late playing cards. Saltines (crackers) throughout the day. Don't over due the booze as it will dry you out. Sip water during the day to cut the saliva build up which happens prior to you heaving. I use Bonnie as it seems to be a bit less acidic than Dramamine (sp). The patch does work very well but it makes me very thristy (one of the side effects) so I don't use it. I am not sure if you need a prescription for it. I believe you still do but it is very easy to get. Just tell the doctor you get sea sick. By cutting the patch in half it appears to lower the amount (or speed) of medication taken in and it mde me less thirsty when I did use it. Stay outside with the fresh air whenever possible. Position yourself towards the middle of the boat to reduce the rocking. Focus on catching fish. The more fish you catch the less you will focus on how sick you really are. Adreline (sp) does wonders to make you forget how you feel.

SoCalTed

Reaction score
The wife gets sea sick watching us play on the Playstation.

She uses the Scop... patch (behind the ear) on our Mexican cruise as well as our fishing trips. My 84 y.o mother in law also used it on our Orca watch up in Vancouver this summer. It works great for both of them.

I also recommend staying away from the fly bridge, high center of gravity makes you feel the rocking more. Plus, stay away from the stern as much as possible when in motion or trolling. The stern holds more of the diesel smell and makes a lot of people sick. Like when you are at the carnival and stand in line next to the big rides sucking in the generator discharge - mmmm yummy!

Top Bottom