Mouflon Sheep

Gray Ghost Safaris

Reaction score
This is the 5th Mouflon I've taken. Most have been good eating, with very little "mutton" taste, but this one is absolutely as good as any Axis Deer I've eaten. No gamey flavor at all. Excellent table fare. I marinaded it overnight and put it on the grill over charcoal (Kingsford). Gooooood! I took it in Texas. That has to be the deal :)

Bulleye

Reaction score
WTG! Thats a great looking sheep. Glad it tastes great too. I had a friend give me a piece of Ewe and it was awesome.

ltdann

Reaction score
Which outfit did you go with? My buddies and I are looking for something different in the spring.

Gray Ghost Safaris

Reaction score
Hello ltdann, it is a private ranch a friend of mine owns. He has ample Whitetail, some Mule Deer (non-resident license & when the season opens in TX), some quality Red Stag, a few Fallow Deer, very few Axis Deer and great Aoudad. He only takes just a few each year and this isn't an advertised ranch. If you want to have him contact you, email me and I'll forward your info. I do not book for him, and he only books for himself, but I'll be glad to pass your request onto him. Good hunting, GGS
Here's a friends Aoudad he took when I was there last October: 29.5 inch horns with 12.5 inch bases. He was a stud billy for sure with outstanding chaps and a full beard. He had it mounted 1/2 lifesize.

bpnclark

Banned
Reaction score
While waiting for my applications to come back I just thought of something.

I can take a Mouflon Sheep get it mounted but use a Bighorn cape. They almost have the same curl (just a little smaller).

What will one of those set back a hunter from California? Seriously, just kidding about the cape. Those sheep look a little better than the Aoudads. Are they easer to hunt than Aoudads or pretty much the same?

Gray Ghost Safaris

Reaction score
Mouflon are the smallest of the world's wild sheep, and one of the most attractive. Here in the US, you can most likely find them in nearly all lower 48 States and Hawaii. Prices will vary from under $1,000 to as much as $3,500. One thing to be investigated before you pay your money: pedigree. Many "mouflon's" are hybreds. Pure strain Mouflon look like Mouflon, not Corsican or other exotic sheep. Mature males have a white saddle patch, black beards and no curled horns like Dall sheep. They can be easy to hunt, or hard as any Whitetail Deer. Where I took this ram, it was just like hunting wild sheep. They want no part of man, even at a distance. They hide in thick juniper canyons and ridgelines. The Aoudad on this ranch are worse. I've hunted them twice with no billy. Passed up a few, as I am trophy hunting, but they are not easy in most areas. Good hunting, GGS

bpnclark

Banned
Reaction score
Sounds like a good hunt. A Mouflon and a Auodad together would make a great looking pedestal mount. Looks like I have one more animal to put on my Texas list.

goatman

Reaction score
Gray Ghost you are exactly right on with the standards for pure mouflon. One other thing to look for is a 4" or shorter tail. Thats the first thing to look for in pure mouflon.

hatchet1

Banned
Reaction score
nice ones
i too have had the fever in the past, gotta love the mouflon and aoudad!! had half mounts done on both.... very. very elusive, i hunted 30,000 of low fence out of amarillo texas , great property, when you see um. you
better take um, or their gone....

Attachments

ltdann

Reaction score
Hatchet,

Which outfitte did you use?

hatchet1

Banned
Reaction score
dan , i went with 5staroutfitters, they have a website you can go to for all the info,pm me if you want
more details as i dont want to step on anybodys toes, definetly the real deal

Glass eye

Reaction score
I just got back from Hawaii where I passed up a 50 yard shot on a band of ewes, I should have taken the shot as it turned out to be my only shot opportunity, but it was the first day.
My wife found a nice ram skeleton up high on Mauna Loa.

Attachments

bmtoth

Reaction score
glass eye, nice skull find! did you take it back with you from to the states?

sancho

Reaction score
here is mine. my jr high principle took me onto his property for FREE! i stalked a aoudad, and ended up flushing a huge herd of over 100 animals. i shot this guy, and he fell. this huge dark brown one then trotted by. i panic in the melee, and didnt shoot the best one. it was a rookie move. the jr principle wants to see me take one with a bow. i dont see how it can be done. they are super smart. i believe to this day, that the lone goat i first spotted, was the sentinel for the entire herd.

edit: opps photo is too large

Latest Posts

Top Bottom