Moultrie Game Camera

horntagger

Reaction score
Tried to find the orginal post I put up of the great price, but this is info from another owner on another message board so I figured I would pass it along.I got the new game cam and will be trying it out. It takes two D batteries to operate the camera and one six volt for the sensor. I have one question that probably applies to most cameras and was wondering how you deal with it.

The Moultrie has a "high" and "low" power feature that works as follows. On high, the camera continously works to keep the camera in a "ready" state so the flash will go immediately once an animal triggers it. This insures you don't end up catching the rear end of game. For example, in low, once the sensor is triggered, the flash is being charged and preparing for the shot. However, unless you are over a feeder or bait, the animal may be walking too fast for the flash to charge and the picture to snap before the animal leaves the view. The downside of "high" power is battery life is probably terrible.

My question is, how do competing models deal with this issue of the camera always being "ready" (I can't put bait down or a feeder b/c of cows)?

Archilochus

Reaction score
Hi HT,
From what I've *heard* (not personal experience), this trail-cam uses a super deluxe "El-Cheapo" camera - that's one reason why the price is so low.  On most home-brews and almost all commercial trail-cams, the camera itself is of high enough quality that camera power consumption is not an issue and the cameras can be maintained at a "ready state" for up to a few weeks or more.

Archilochus

shrtcirkt

Reaction score
HT,
Adding to what Arch said, Some cam manufacterers, and a lot of home brewers (my self included) use a "refresh" feature.
The Chips I use from JoeD have a 7 minute refresh rate programmed into them for my 35 MM cameras and a 2.75 hour refresh for my digitals. This refresh keeps the camera awake and ready to go without large power consumption of the batteries.

Tinhorn

Reaction score
I was just going to say what shrtcirkt said except I was going to end my sentence with 4 dots instead of 1 ..............

I'm sure the Owl PF's batteries run down a little quicker with the refresh pulse keeping the flash capacitor charged but I really can't tell any difference.  That camera Moultrie uses must really be inefficient if it warrants the cost of adding a switch like that, what brand/model of cam is it?

Thanx

Tinhorn

davered1

Reaction score
horntagger,

Maybe you should run down to wal-mart and buy a AF or PF , bring it home and try it to see if holes will line up. If they do swap camera out and if they don't take camera back.

The PF will run for months off of 2 D cell batteries.just a thought

BTW, like your "camo" trucks

Latest Posts

Top Bottom