Mountain lion

songdog

Reaction score
I've been out many times before and seen tracks that seem to fit a mountain lion.  Without seeing the lion standing in them it always leaves a little bit of doubt in my mind.

Yesterday I was out calling for some coyotes just after the rain and came across the clearest set of lion tracks that I've ever seen.  The ground was sandy and had been completely smoothed out by the rain the evening before.  The gait of the tracks was much too big for anything other than a lion.  There were no claw marks and the tracks were pressed pretty deep in the sand.

Gives you the willies when you know it's only been a couple of hours max since he was there and you're sitting down to call.  Add to that the fact that I found a dead lion out there in the same location a year or so ago...

Thonzberry

Reaction score
songdog, Have you thought of puting up a trail cam up to see what size or what it looks like. Good Luck:skeered:

Hook

Reaction score
Songdog, I'll be watching extra careful tomorrow. :skeered:

You got mail...

(Edited by Hook at 8:47 pm on Jan. 2, 2002)

Grey Taylor

Reaction score
Heck, a friend and I went squirrel hunting up by Kernville a few years ago.  We walked up a closed to vehicles dirt road to the top area, hunted around for a bit and then walked back to our trucks.

On the way back we could see our ascending tracks in the dirt on the road.  For most of the way our footprints were covered with big mt. lion paw prints.  

We never saw the lion but I'll be doing my squirrel hunting with a .45 ACP on my belt from now on; that .22rf loaded with shorts just didn't look very big when we saw those tracks.

Thonzberry

Reaction score
I think I might start carrying a hand gun after hearing stories about these big kittys. You ever have the feeling, when your in the field that somthing is whatching you from some where, well you just might be:skeered:

Applbit

Reaction score
I have been seeing huge cat tracks around where i hunt for the last 4-5 years.no one would believe me. now i have proof that it does exist. The cam was aimed a little high so i only got the top of his back and his head but it is clearly a lion.
i just wish i had a scanner so share my cat pic!

(Edited by Applbit at 4:52 pm on Jan. 26, 2002)

coyote

Reaction score
congrats!!!  Take the pic to a store or buddy and get 'er scanned someone here will help post it.
BTW cats are really on the up swing in Alberta too...still waiting for my first.....yoteee'

songdog

Reaction score
I've only seen one of these in the wild in 25+ years of hunting but it made a lasting impression.  

Here's a pic of a huge   mountain lion that a friend of a friend got this year in MT.  I really wish they let us hunt them again in CA.

Hook

Reaction score
Good looking kitty, I would like to hunt them out of state, but DFG wouldn't let me bring him back to Ca. anyway.  :mad-fumin-red:

wildbirdhunter

Reaction score
Nice looking cat. Wish we could hunt them thing maybe the deer hunting would be better.

lintongb

Reaction score
That a big cat!  I sure would like to see one in the wild.  I saw some fresh tracks while hunting in Utah last year.  They were just as wide as my hand.

bloodsports

Reaction score
Thats a big cat!!  I have came aross two while hunting.  One while hunting quail by Lake Hemit and the other while hunting chukar near the Kern River.  Boy I wish we could hunt them....

Frank

Forever Hunting
Reaction score
Nice Cat... My dad & I actually called one in within just a few feet of us, while varmint hunting near the Klammath river close to the Oregon border.  

As Songdog states, it definitely leaves a lasting impression, one that I will never forget.

MarinePMI

Reaction score
Used to have a buddy up north of N. Paso Robles that used to say..."Yep, can't hunt mountain lions no more...ahem...but for some reason they don't seem to be molesting the stock anymore <wink>".  SSS <Shoot, Shovel, Shutup>  He used to say that the only people that really hunted them here never talked about it.

karstic

Banned
Reaction score
Thats a BFC!

I have a question, not to stir up contraversy, just clarification. One of my reasons for hunting is to enjoy the product of the hunt, ie meat. Another is to get out from behind my desk, away from the rat race get outdoors and recharge. Why do many of you hunt predators/varmints? You can't or won't eat em, you don't need the pelts for warmth/clothing/shelter.  I understand the need for predator control for keeping game species abundant. Is that the main reason? Try to convince me why you hunt predators?

songdog

Reaction score
I can at least hide behind the reason that I have eaten them (ok, just one).

Seriously,

I skin everything I shoot with few exceptions.  

It's really good practice for other types of hunting when you're heart is going a mile a minute and you're trying to steady the crosshairs on a moving target.  

I can't scientifically prove it but I know that areas that I hunt have fewer predators than others and the deer and quail populations are certainly not hurt by the smaller number of coyotes.

And there's always the part that just enjoys getting out and doing it.  Not that you're out there just to kill and go for numbers.  It's like fishing - even catch and release still kills a few fish.  Would I not do it if I realized that some of the fish were going to die anyway?  No, I'd still do it.

Top Bottom