Mountain Quail and Grouse

yellow dog

Reaction score
I am going to try Mountain Quail and hopefully grouse this year. I need some help starting. I don't want your specific hunting spot but I am looking for an area up by Lone Pine, bishop, or Mammoth so I can also enjoy the fall fishing. Thank you ahead for any help. Yellow Dog

quaildeath

Reaction score
IDK if it is legal, however if national forest it is, but I saw grouse on the back side of upper twin lakes in Mammoth.
Don't know the species, but big and scared the crap out of me on the flush.

ChkrChsr

Reaction score
All those areas you mention hold mountain quail. I saw coveys last year around Agnew Meadow and near the motocross track in the Sherwin Creek area. Make sure of the species before you pull the trigger. I'll be going up to do my annual cast and blast at the end of the month.

FreeRange

Reaction score
There are grouse around mammoth for sure, other parts of the state have way better grouse hunting but if you'll already be up there then go for it! Google mono county no shooting zones to determine where is legal to shoot in the mammoth lakes area. Even if it's legal to shoot there are still some really crowded areas that you'd do best to avoid. They are hard birds to find but live in beautiful places, enjoy the hunt. Not many mountain quail up there but they are around.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Common Sense

Reaction score
Word of warning. Grouse are easy to knock down, but they are tough to kill. I knocked down birds and then chased the covey to get another, only to find the first bird is gone. Pick up the bird as soon as you shoot it, or it may revive and be gone.

sean english

Reaction score
Go up by Kennedy meadows. MQ is not the most interesting hunt. Unlike chukar they live in wooded areas and are almost impossible to spot. once they flush, due to the cover, you dont see where they go and they hide in the very thick bushes. Also, its still too hot out there. sometimes, you find them in chukar country: open and huntable. Then you are good. One piece of advice: Ckrchaser (two posts above) is the person you want to know. Buy him dinner, a brand new Beretta or a new Tacoma, etc and then you have someone who will show you where/how to hunt upland. He is the man. Not too many folks know his real name. He is mysterious yet kind hearted. He is the 007 of Upland Hunting. Oh ya, and he always has the best birddogs for the job.

sean english

Reaction score
And yellow dog
Thank you for bringing up some real upland game topic. I was starting to think this is a "Dove" section and not Upland Hunting one.

ChkrChsr

Reaction score
Sean, you are too funny. Just got a new Chevy Z71, and the Tacoma is running just fine, so really in no need of a new truck. Kennedy Meadows was a bust last year, jumped and heard lots of chukar, but they disappeared after opening day, go figure. This year with little snow and very little, little rain up there have not seen or heard any mountain quail other than around the campground, across the river in extremely steep terrain. My friend that frequents her cabin up there every weekend has seen very few valley quail this year, and they are mostly around the houses and cabins. Just too dry and hot up there. Have not seen the yote hunters up there the past couple of years, but still come across rattlesnakes. Not saying there are none up there, just all my goto spots up there have been singles, braces or zeros.

View attachment 82784View attachment 82785

GSP4Runner

Reaction score
I will be trying my luck for MQ and Grouse again this year between Mammoth & Bridgeport. Last year did not see any. Have 4 spots I will be hunting Tue-Thursday. Are you referring to the Kennedy Meadows off the 395 or the other one?

Anyways good luck to everyone. Here is the no shooting zone map for Mammoth Area. http://monosheriff.org/sites/defaul...roner/page/676/noshootingmammoth_03-10-11.pdf

Even though I did not see any birds last year it was one of the most fun hunts I have done with my dog. Seemed to be one of his favorite hunts too. Great weather this time of year. Will post a report next week.

Also my dog had TPLO surgery on his knee 5 months ago and seems to be doing great so far.

Alpine hunter

Reaction score
Got out in the hills today and yesterday looking for some birds. Yesterday saw 8 grouse they all were up in the trees ended up bringing home none. Went back out to another spot today and found the bird on the ground feeding. Ended up with my 2 for they day. They were way up close to 10,000 foot mark Seems to be close to water.

Common Sense

Reaction score
ruffed and blue grouse is open(I think state-wide) for thirty days, usually the second Saturday in September(when Mnt. quail opens).

Alpine hunter

Reaction score
Both of the ones I got were Ruffed or I guess they are called Sooty now. Made for a great meal tonight

527varmint

Reaction score
I spent all summer living in bishop working 4 days a week. Spent the other 3 days a week in the mtns scouting quail, chukar, grouse, and ptarmigrin. Seen some mtn quail but only in one area. Seen none of the other birds. Oh, I did see sage grouse. MAKE SURE YOU DON'T SHOOT A SAGE GROUSE THINKING ITS A RUFFED GROUSE! You are far more likely to see the sage than the ruffed, blue, sooty. Let me tell u I 4x4 all over and hiked off trail crashing brush and talus slopes. You are wasting your time in this drought. I did see a couple snowshoe hare. I did also meet a guy at the bar who has been hiking the pacific crest trail from canada to mexico. He had just finished this years section. He said there was a lot of grouse south of mt whitney to kennedy meadows on the PCT. He also said that just south of yosemite on the PCT there was a lot of chukar.

Sage Grouse

GSP4Runner

Reaction score
Report from last 3 days: I got skunked. Did not see a grouse or MQ. Was hunting spots where my friend who used to live in the Eastern Sierras has gotten MQ and grouse before so I know the spots were good. We hiked a ton and burned alot of boot leather and kicked alot of bushes but nobody was home. Im guessing the drought is playing a role. Was beautiful country and had alot of fun so I don't regret it one bit. Spoke to someone who flushed 6 grouse while fishing 2 days ago so there are a few around. Also scouted some new areas for chukar and quail so always scouting when I am out there and adding to my mental database for when we finally get some rain and the birds come back.

Best of luck to the rest of you who are trying to get some MQ or Grouse this season.

mojavejohn

Reaction score
I was up fishing this last week on the east side and just stumbled upon a covey of Mtn. quail. Good thing that I had brought my shotgun, just in case. I shot one quail out of a covey of about six. I'll be heading back up before the end of grouse season to see if I can't find a few of those too.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom