Mounting PIR inside box, help

cgchris99

Reaction score
I have bench tested my first camera and it works.  
:^)

Now, How do I modify the RS PIR to mount inside my box (pelican 1120) so that it is 5/8 away from fresnel lens.

Do I glue it in place?  Modify the PIR housing and glue that in place?

Please advise... thanks all

H

Jaggermax

Inactive
Reaction score
CG, I purchased a few 5/8" circuit board corner standoffs from my local electronics supply store and they work great.  Since the board I was using did not have any holes to mount the board to the box (I used the mainstay sensor board), I was left with either drilling my own holes in the board or using the standoffs.  The standoffs I used are plastic and they attach to the box with a peel away adhesive pad.  They capture the corner of the board (use one for each corner) and work great.  A lot of places on the net probably sell them.  Try Allied Electronics, Digikey, and McMaster Carr.  

cgchris99

Reaction score
I guess I should be more specific.  I am trying to figure out how to mount the RS PIR to the front door of the pelican case.

Do I need to create some bent sheet metal or what.  I guess, I am worried about not getting the correct distance and angle from the fresnel lens.

As well as how to attach the PIR to the door.

Thanks for any advice

big tom

Reaction score
You can use the existing Radioshack plastic mount- clamp it down then take a hack saw and cut back, starting at radius curve (the part where the fresnel lens is most curved) back about 1/4 -1/2 inch parallel to the lenght.  After you cut, you now have a flat sawn surface at the bottom to glue into you pack.  The sensor board then slips into the existing slots- I cut mine you if you push the sensor board in all the way, you are 1/2 inch from the fresnel lens. If you want to set the sensor futher back, don't push it in all the way.

Passthru

Banned
Reaction score
  I cut the speaker away but left the housing across the back in place that holds the board in place.this way the only thing sticking through the cam case was the fresnal lens and allowed be to keep it at factory distance from the sensor.

There is no way for me to explain how i did this to make it work so that the only part sticking out was the fresnal lens.  The next time i put one of these together i will take pictures of the process and post them. i sit for an hour just measuring and marking with a pencil till i thought i had it worked out in my head. the thing was i wanted the fresnal lens sticking out but did not want to see the speaker part of the housing.
  You could email me with your address and i can try to draw what i did and send it to you if want to see right away.  be sure to put sensor,or cam or something like that in the subject line or i may not see it while deleting all the wifes junk mail hehehehe

Top Bottom