Mounting PIR sensor crooked??

deadcell

Reaction score
I have read alot of info about these homebuilt gamecameras and most everybody agrees that if the animal keeps the PIR sensor tripped for an extended period of time it will automatically shut down the camera. Keeping it tripped for 3 minutes or more will cause the canon OWL camera to shut down i think. Well i got to thinking and if the PIR beam is 10feet high and about 60degrees wide couldn't you just mount the PIR sensor sideways thus causing the detect beam to only be 10feet wide? This would make a much narrower window for the animal to be in at any given time thus limiting the chances of the PIR being tripped for an extended period. Does anybody else think this will work? Thanks

davered1

Reaction score
that is what I do with my RS PIR's.I find it also centers animal in pic better as he only has 10' feet(at the most) to trip sensor,if the trail is about 5 yards from camera the "trip" path is about 4' wide.Then I just tape down lens so it is about 1.25 inches square(this limits birds setting it off)

davered1

Matt in MO

Reaction score
The best solution is a two stage timer. But taping off the PIR lens will reduce the likelyhood of being continously tripped. However, since the PF may take 1.5 seconds to actually fire, the animal may be to the side of the frame. There are so many variables such as distance to animal and the speed it is walking. I like the RS PIR set normally with a 1 inch opening.

Tipping the PIR on its side makes it more sensitive to VERTICAL movement than horizontal movement. But if it works in Canada thats fine :)

davered1

Reaction score
matt

I tape off lens vertically to 1.25 inch as well,but found when it was horizontal it was still a lot wider path than vertical.Deer walking slow would have tripped sensor and I would only get pics of their head and half the body at 20 feet,vertically the path is narrower than the camera path so it works well(here in Canada)

Gator

Reaction score
I only cut a 5/8'' hole or vertical slot 5/8'' wide in my housing, and it centers the picture and limits the path to about 5' at 20' from camera.  

Top Bottom