Mounting RS 49-425 in camera box

buckmstr

Reaction score
I just found this site a week ago and started making a camera this weekend. I have everything ready to go and working. After many mistakes though. I decided to mount the RS 49-425 inside the camera box. So I glued my two pieces of glass to the box then sealed it up and the motion sensor was not reading. I take off the cover and it reads. What it is not liking is the glass over the motion sensor. I took off the glass and just left the plastic piece that comes with the sensor in its place and it works fine. Did anyone else run into this problem? How do you have yours? How should I rig mine? I'll tell you what this camera works awesome I am very surprised. I went with the Owl AF as I couldn't get the soldering down on the Owl PF, boy is that one hard.

buckmstr

Archilochus

Reaction score
Yes, that's a common mistake - the way to find out about it, and other, common mistakes is to read ALL of Jesses home-brew cam info before starting out.
The PIR sensor can not 'see' through many common materials - glass, Plexi-glas, and most regular plastics.  You can use a window of transmissive material for the PIR to look through.  The material can be purchased from Fresnel Technologies - http://www.fresneltech.com
Take some time to read up on Fresnel lenses while visiting their site - they offer some history and theory that will no doubt be useful as you build your next 10 or 20 cams - gotta have just one more!

Archilochus

Passthru

Banned
Reaction score
 i never put glass over my sensor lens,i just glue the fresnel lens to the inside of the box.

buckmstr

Reaction score
Thanks guys. It now works perfectly. I put it out this morning. We will see what happens!

MCinIL

Inactive
Reaction score
buckmstr, congrats on your first cam. You will become addicted now, and all the therapy is right here on JHP. Good luck and lets see the pics. MC.

Top Bottom