Mounting the LED

ArkansasElkHunter

Reaction score
I'm looking for a way to get my LED off the door to eliminate the potential work hardening of the wires when the door is opened and shut.  I've seen the post on mounting the small magnifying glass over the LED.  How are you, that arn't mounting them to the door, doing it.  Throw out some ideas.

I was thinking about mounting it inside the case and drilling a 3/8" hole.  Then glueing a piece of tail light lens over the hole.  This should provide some refraction of the light making it easier to see from the side.  I want to be able to see it well for set-up.  

bat

Reaction score
Hey ArkansasElkHunter, I was thinking about drilling a hole big enought to allow the led to come through the hole and gluing a bubble glass of some sort over it.  This way you could still see it from the side.  I wanted to apply this type of glass over the counter hole on top as well.  Having trouble finding the bubble glass like I want though.  Anyone know a link to find the "commercial type" clear signal light covers that industrial machinery plants have on their control panels.  Just an idea!

Archilochus

Reaction score
Hi bat, Ark,
If you check the inside and outside views of the basic cam on this page, you'll see the way I've done it.  The cover has a little plastic window from "Heyco" < http://www.heyco.com/Page4-13.htm > that lines up with the setup LED when the cover is closed.

http://www.geocities.com/archilochus57/49-425.html

BTW - You should be able to secure some samples from Heyco with a bit of imagination

Archilochus

(Edited by Archilochus at 5:39 am on April 6, 2002)

Coues

Reaction score
I have been leaving the LED off all together and putting a switch on the speaker of the RS sensor. I can hear it better than I can see the LED at 30 feet! Glue a piece of foam or insulation over the speaker if you want to muffle it.

www.desertbull.com

davered1

Reaction score
ArkansasElkHunter,

Here are a couple of pics of how I USED to build mine. A 1/2 inch hole that the led slid into ,then used some of the clear plastic the camera come in ,gooped it to outside of enclosure under tape.

Works good but then it leaves your electronics open to the touch. NOT GOOD, if you aren't the only one using cams!!

6 of 1, 1/2 dozen of the other.

Bat,

You don't have to worry much about seeing it from the side (bubble glass) you shouldn't be much more than 4-7 feet off to one side when it trips anyways, to keep animal centered in pics

Coues,

That is an excellent idea, I am going to have to try it with a RS

bat

Reaction score
Thanks Arch, hey you got that web link put together pretty darn good.  I stayed in there about 20 minutes looking at your data thanks.

ArkansasElkHunter

Reaction score
Thanks all for your ideas.

Arch,   I think your little windows are just the ticket. I went to the sight, but I diddn't have time to look at all their styles.  I hope to find one like bat was talking about so I can let the led protrude a little.

Coues,  I used a little buzzer from RS that was $2.89  It worked great.  Mounted it inside a pelican and you could hear it really good.  It gets a little anoying playing with it in the house,b ut worked great in the field.

Davered1.  I am covering my electronics with a plastic box and I have a 1" hole cut for the sensor to see through.  I goop the fresnel lens to the enclosure.  I covered the 1" hole in the little plastic Box with clear packing tape.  It dosent seem to effect sensitivity or range.  I also tried a piece of clear mylar, from a report cover and it worked very  well.   It takes three layers of the mylar  to effect the sensor very much.  I am going with the mylar to aviod having the glue on the tape over the hole.  Even though it faces the inside of the little box, it might pick up dust after a while.

Dobler

Reaction score

I use a convex lense cover from an old camera that I had laying around.  It actually magnified the LED inside the box which I have mounted directly onto one of Hamiltoes boards that I built.  Works great.  I too am looking for a supplier of this type to use on future cameras.

Rooter

Reaction score
Why not just mount the camera, sensor and LEd to the back of the cam so that the door gives you access to the back of the equipment?

Rooter

jayber

Reaction score
Great minds think alike Rooter......just the way I do it!!  You don't even have to take the camera out to change the film if you don't want to.  I can name lots of benfits to doing it that way...

ArkansasElkHunter

Reaction score
Jameco has the led covers like Arc posted about.  they have one that protrudes 1/4 inch and some that are flat in multiple colors.  They have fresnel rings that are supposed to increase visibility from the side.  The run about $0.25 each and have clear and red.  They are made to clip the LED and hold it in place.  I'm gonna cut the off and glue them in place.  All electronics has them too.  

Latest Posts

Top Bottom