Mouth Calls

Eagle Eye

Reaction score
I'm fairly new at using mouth calls and have noticed some are better at making certain sounds than others.
For example, the one that gives me the best sounding yelps is hard to make purrs. The one that purrs the best makes lousy yelps.
So I guess what I'm asking is there advantages to using different reed configurations (single,double,triple)to make certain sounds?

spectr17

Administrator
Admin
Reaction score
EE,

You've probably also noticed some mouth calls have higher pitch then others and some are raspier than others. More cuts and layers of latex and they seem to get more raspier to me, which sounds like an older boss hen.

You can also try bending the frame to fit you mouth different to see if that helps in getting all the sounds you want. Make sure the frame is aluminum though, the plastic frames snap real easy.

I like stacked mouth calls because it seems like after a day or two my regular double latex calls stick together even if I put spacers in them at night and soak them in mouthwash. There's a thread down below on stacked calls if you want to read more about them or where to get them.

Possum

Reaction score
A lot of times you can locate with a multi-reed call and then switch down to a softer call for working the bird.  I have some that will yelp and cutt strongly and then some that will purr, cluck, and whine softly.  Some people can hold two diaphrams in there mouth at the same time and alternate between them.  I never have had the need for that...then again I don't kill every gobbler I come across either.  I like a diaphram that has medium range, yelps raspy, cutts semi-loud, clucks medium, and kee-kees clearly.  Down here the birds kee-kee a lot in the early season.  I must have heard it 25 times Sat. morning.  I believe they responded so well Sat. because the diaphram I was using could mimic every call she made - even the kee-kees.  Diaphrams like that are hard to find.  A production call that fits the bill is the lost poult by Cane Creek and anything with what they call a "ghost cut".  It is a half hourglass looking cut with two reeds total.  It is made of light latex (about .003).  He used to use condom but quit.  They still sound good with the latex.  Oh yeah, feel free to bend the aluminum frames a bit.  You can experiment a lot this way.  P.s.  H.S. Strut uses plastic frames and WILL NOT BEND.  Don't try it you will break it.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom