• The forum is now running on the Xenforo platform. The first time you log in here, you may have to reset your password by doing a password recovery. Your login info will be sent to the email you have listed on your account; please check your spam or junk folders if you don't see it in your inbox. If that address is invalid, obviously you won't get the email: In that case, use the contact form or the envelope icon at the top right of the header to send us your member name and a current valid email address.

MOVING TO IDAHO?

Gotta call today from one of the police departments out there....looks like I am going out to the Boise area next week for an oral interview. Bringing the whole family out there and taking a look around!

OR186

I'm about 100 miles north of the Boise area on the Oregon side of the Snake river. We go to Boise a couple times a year for Drs. or shopping. I think you will fit right in and it will be a good move for your whole family. It's to busy for me, I live 6 miles from a town of 175, but a big improvement from where you are now. Eagle, Meridian are nice just to name a couple outlying areas. Caldwell seems to be changing for the worse. There are a LOT of ex-Californians in Idaho nowadays. It's not so much where you're from but how you act. Winters really haven't been bad lately. More cold than snow last year. Good luck.

Your right about that... It's all bout how you act.... I would love to live in the sticks, but I have 9 years invested in law enforcent and unfortunately the $$ is in the big city stuff. We looked at the OR side but no work! I'm really praying it all works out and I get support from my extended family....

HMR

I like to stay at the Country Inn & Suites in Meridian. Great price, clean and new, indoor pool, great free breakfast and super close to Frwy. Right across the street is a must eat place, The Ram. Another great place to stay is Candlewood Suites in Meridian. Check them both out on Trip Advisor. I usually fly Alaska but out of San Diego cause they have a direct flight, only 2 hours. Best of luck to you and enjoy your visit.

Dpsammy63

I am eyeballing Idaho too. I have wanted out of CA for a long time. I also am law enforcement and have reached the magic age for a public safety retirement. One more year max's out my numbers. Unfortunately my youngest is a freshman in high school. I don't know if I can wait four more years. California is beautiful, and I will miss Nor Cal salmon and rockfish and dungies, but I can't stand the politics and gun restrictions. I am constantly researching Idaho real estate, hunting opportunities, and jobs. You only live once. I say go for it!

solus

Yup im up here for an interview this week hoping to restart working. Found a nice home with 3 bedrooms and 1 bath for 110k. The only thing wrong is that it doesnt have the carpet. Looks like someone ripped it out.

HuntnBrew

I grew up in Kuna. It used to be what I call a small town (Population under 3000), Last time I was there it was 5-6x bigger. Lots of people go that direction because of the smaller community, and cheaper houses. Good luck on the interview, keep us informed.

mike1781

Another interview in a week! Let's see how this one goes.... Your right, you only live once!
Just remember every state/county has its own version of ghetto. With the Meth problem being so bad theres tweekers everywhere! Is your Ca POST accepted in Idaho? I was looking to lateral to El Dorado County, but its hard to just get up and go after 10 years with my dept, I've should've left before 5 years.

I know this is old - but I have to reply

We moved to Caldwell Idaho from CA last June. Seriously, 3 out of 4 people here came from CA. Many came decades ago, some sooner. We have encountered no one who was hostile so far. I think most Idahoans have figured out that those moving out of CA are pretty much like they are.

Now, as for the remarks about Mormons - I have to speak up in the interest of fairness. Yes, there are many Mormons here, and no, they are not obnoxious or interested in persecuting other faiths. I am a retired evangelical minister, not LDS. There are tons of evangelicals here too (10+ Christian radio stations in this market). Yes, there are Jewish folks too. No one worries about maintaining a low profile and I have been treated with nothing but respect by LDS members here.

Still looking to find a place to hunt that will work for me (I have some physical challenges), but I am sure I will find it much easier than in CA.

I was dating a girl from Boise when I was starting grad school, and she was a beauty, but her one condition for marriage was that I get a job in Boise.

I tried, but nobody there wanted to hire an out of state Californian. And she did not want to live anywhere else.

I guess everybody out West hates Californians. So you will need to deal with that.

Idaho is close to the heart of the Mormon Empire, so you better be able to deal with that as well.

There are lots of Catholics, Baptists and Jews there as everywhere, but they discretely keep that to themselves within the Empire.

Idaho is a hunters' paradise. Not quite as good as Alaska but better than anywhere else except Wyoming.

So 3rd place is not bad.

For me, the snow is too deep there. So is the Mormon B/S. I'm Catholic.

Oregon gets too much rain.

Washington State gets way too much rain.

Arizona is too hot and dry.

Lake Tahoe or Reno would be perfect for me.

Top Bottom