Moving to Oregon

siggs2115

Reaction score
Great Site guys. New to the site, and this is my first post. I am from PA and am moving to Oregon either this summer or next summer to work at a camp located just east of Lincoln City. I am very unfamiliar with the area so I need some help. I am an avid bowhunter, trapper and fisherman and would love to get into some of the hunting Oregon has. I was wondering if someone can give me some pointers on what I am able to hunt without drawing a tag in this area. I believe it is in the Siuslaw National Forest, how is this area for hunting? Any information for any hunting will be a big help. Thanks a lot.

oregoncritters

Reaction score
I lived in LC for several years and the hunting and fishing is awesome. You can hunt elk deer bear on OTC tags for archery..Some fantastic bulls in that country. What camp are you working at? If it's the one i'm thinking of, you will have plenty of elk opportunity in your camp..My email is jcyr@powers.k12.or.us let me know if you have any specific questions. I still do alot of hunting in that area as well..

Shay Mann

Reaction score
OregonCritters knows what he speaks of. I've hunted over there with him for a few years, and it is an extremely good elk hunting area. Here are a couple of elk that we've killed over there. O.C. killed a monster back in 2003. I don't fish much, but there are excellent fishing rivers on the northern coast. Enjoy !!!
[attachment=50383:shay_jod..._low_res.jpg]
[attachment=50384:low_res_...le_front.jpg]
[attachment=50385:Jody3_lowres.jpg]

Attachments

siggs2115

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies guys. Now I am getting psyched. Oregon critters, I tried emailing you but for some reason it did not go through. Please email me at bucktailer2110@hotmail.com so i can get the correct address. How is the hunting pressure in this area? I am totally new to the western hunting, however, I am willing to do whatever it takes to have a chance at some western game. Let me know if you guys or anyone else have pointers for me. Feel free to use my email. Thanks for your help guys.

Shay Mann

Reaction score
By the way, welcome to JHO. I hope you get alot of good information from this forum. I'm sure you will.

siggs2115

Reaction score
Guys,

What are the odds of me getting a rifle tag for deer or elk in the Siuslaw national forest area. I beleive it is Lincoln county or unit that I will be hunting. I know i will be hunting over the counter tags for archery however, I would also like to get a rifle tag if possible. With me moving out there in late august, I will still be a non-resident, does this change anything as far as possibilities to draw a tag?

Thanks

Redneck75

Reaction score
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (siggs2115 @ Mar 28 2008, 05:07 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Guys,

What are the odds of me getting a rifle tag for deer or elk in the Siuslaw national forest area. I beleive it is Lincoln county or unit that I will be hunting. I know i will be hunting over the counter tags for archery however, I would also like to get a rifle tag if possible. With me moving out there in late august, I will still be a non-resident, does this change anything as far as possibilities to draw a tag?

Thanks[/b]

Just a heads up partner...Oregon hunting ain't like hunting in the Eastern parts of the US. You either hunt Bow or you hunt Rifle for a particular species in a year, not both. It's part of the joys of hunting the declining populations of the blacktail/mule deer versus the healthy populations of whitetail. There are ways to hunt deer with both weapons but it usually involves a depredation permit and I don't know about the availability of those to non-residents. Do some research online to be sure but I think you may be out of luck. I like hunting deer with the bow and late-season coast elk with the rifle. Lots of fun when the seasons line up. Standing there with a rifle in hand, watching a big buck 15 feet away. Next day go out with the bow and watch a nice bull elk 100 yards away. Drives me nuts!

siggs2115

Reaction score
Thanks for the heads up. That is very different than PA. I will for sure hunt archery elk and I am not sure yet about the blacktail. Has anyone had any experience hunting the Stott Mtn. unit? This is where I will be living and will be hunting. Thanks.

ORElkBow

Reaction score
Try hunting out of Fall City. If you look it up in the map, you'll know where to go. Very thick with lots of animals.

siggs2115

Reaction score
Thanks for the help!

Well thanks for all the info guys. Sorry, I havent been on the board in a while, I am having too much fun fishing and hunting out here. Anyway, I had a great year in that I killed my first bull with the bow and blacktail with the gun. This country out here is really rugged but I really love it. Let me tell you, I think that those blacktails up here are one of the, if not THE toughest deer to hunt in the country. I just cant believe how freekin willey and nocturnal they are. I killed myself this past year to kill one, and let me tell you it felt good to finally finish off the season. My goal this year is to kill a mature blacktail for the wall, we'll see what happens. ORElkbow, I actually was down around Valsetz doing some scouting last year. Rugged country and alot of terrain down there. DO you get over that way at all? I havent done any scouting around Falls city though I may try it sometime soon. Howd you do this year?

ORElkBow

Reaction score
Valsetz, Fall City, Kings Valley, Hawskins, Pedee, all that area I used to hunt when I lived in Salem from 97'-99'. Now I'm in Beaverton so when I do hunt the west, I usually run up Hwy6 or Hwy26 and hunt the Wilson, Trask, Saddle, Scappose areas now.

Congrats on your kill. Post up some pics and stories behind as well. I did limit out on both tags last year also. God has blessed me with a newborn last year which made my hunting and fishing season only 1 day out of every month. I shot a bull on my (only) first day out and a doe on Thanksgiving morn. My plan was to take the first oppurtunity that came my way and so that bull and that doe was it.

Although, after I shot my bull, I was planning on tagging along with my buddies, who headed out to Alsea, around Waldport and Florence, but then the baby got in the way and had to stay home.

siggs2115

Reaction score
Sounds like you had a great season too oreelkbow and congrats with the birth! When I get to figuring out how to post pics I will do that. I was down in the Valsetz area this week; nice country and endless hunting. I am going to have to work hard on finding some unpressured holes but hopefully I will. I am really getting to know some of these areas around here but it is also nice to learn some new ones.

ORElkBow

Reaction score
Thanx. There is a old mine ground there in Valsetz so be careful when going about. Just a heads up, if you don't have success during the first archery season then hunt around Valsetz and the mine ground during the second season when all the cows and yearlings concetrate there due to the snow. You shouldn't see much pressure in that area during that time.

ORElkBow

Reaction score
Hey bro, since you don't have PM setup or any contact info, then I guess I'll have to share my info's with you on here along with everyone else.

Here are some areas I used to hunt around and if you have time, see if you can check them out.

1. Out of Valsetz, hunt the Fanno Ridge and Riley Peak.
2. Out of Logsden or Nortons, hunt the Norton Hill Peak Lookout, and the Rock Creek drainages.
3. Hunt in between both towns of Nashville and Blodgett along the Marys River drainages.
4. Hunt the areas surrounding Elk City along Big Elk Creek Rd following it all the way to the town Harlan. In between, you'll run into Bear Creek, Elk Creek, Deer Creek, Beaver Creek, and Wolf Creek and dude, lots of deer and black bear as well.
5. Now if you decide to bow for deer this year, try scouting out Price Creek and Price Peak which is on the other side of Hwy 223 across from Kings Valley and Hoskins.
6. If you ever decide to roll into Kings Valley or Hoskins, the Luckiamute River drainages have excellent elk habitat especially around Green Mt.

So hope this will help you out and I guess others who read this post. Good luck this year and keep me posted on how you do.

siggs2115

Reaction score
Bowhunting

ORELKBOW,
Sorry for not getting back to you sooner. I live in the middle of nowhere and my computer is extremly slow. Anyway thanks for the info. I am going to try to enable private messaging so that we can talk further. I have been out doing alot of scouting in my immediate area and also east of me. I will be in touch soon.

ORElkBow

Reaction score
Sorry for late reply but I just got back from a charter trip this past weekend with Siggi-G-Charter out of Garibaldi. But anyhow, going back to the upper posts, you did have your email in one of them and I just missed it.

Looks like a pretty hot summer so far so hope all the forest gates won't be closed due to extreme fire danger. Especially if you're thinking about scouting out from Falls City. Keep me posted.

pathfinder82

Reaction score
re

Oregon is a great place to live!!! Lots of fishing year round and hunting is great.... Lot's of choices from grouse to elk , antelope, mulies ,ram , goat's and blacktail's ect,,,,,,,, :smiley-mouse:

fossilman

Reaction score
I'm headed into that same area in May,my wife is from there,so I get to hunt with my brother in laws...........Elk and deer,plus the salmon fishing,so cool.............
Can't wait to fish year round......Won't miss that -40 below weather either-LOL

Advertisement

Top Bottom