Mowing food plots

campkopasquat

Reaction score
I planted some new food plots in May. They are coming in very nicely now with clover, chichory, turnip and rape. Most of the clover is at least 8 inches high. Should I mow it now or should I not mow it this first year and mow it next year say around the 4th of July. BTW, my plots are in Maine.

Bond

Reaction score
Are your plots weedy? If they aren't and the deer are using the plot well, there shouldn't be any need to mow.
If they are weedy and the clover is getting mature you should probably mow right now so it grows back before the first frost.

campkopasquat

Reaction score
They are not very weedy at all. Just in a few places but not enough to worry about. I'd say, overall maybe less than 5% weeds, although even with all the clover it doesn't seem as though the plots are getting much action. Do they prefer the new growth after it's mowed or is it that there is just enough other food around for now? To my knowledge there are no other food plots within a 5 mile radius.

Guess I'll just wait until next year and do it around the 4th of July, yes?

Bond

Reaction score
I guess if you think it's mature, mowing it will help because the crop will come back healthier. I don't know if deer will like the new growth better, it's worth a shot.

It's really your call, if you decide to mow you should probably do it before September, that's the rule I use for cutting hay.(In Wisconsin) Frost might come earlier there than it does in Wisconsin

vermonsta

Reaction score
Campk I really think I need to check your plot out personaly .....send me directions and I'll be by and I'll give you my reccomendation
lol What brand did you use? Check out their website or drop them an e-mail and I'm sure they should know whats best for their product. Good luck! :

Mailman Bill

Reaction score
Food for thought......If you don't want weeds in your food plot you should mow before the weeds go to seed or you will have many more weeds next year. Some say that deer like a variety so maybe a few weeds should be left alone. I had what the locals call switch grass in my food plot and I have mowed it down the past three years now and it comes back even thicker now (some of it is eight feet high) I found out that I had been waiting too long to mow. It had already gone to seed. So next year look out switch grass! Mailman Bill

Latest Posts

Top Bottom