MR. FLASH CAPACITOR

bigmandude

Reaction score
Last week when i built my 1st camera, i read the instructions carefully and noticed the part about Mr Flash Capacitor not being my friend.  I heeded that warning and with electrical tape beside me i proceeded to open the camera case... 3 hours later, when the darned thing finally popped open it zapped me instantly (the screwdriver i had to use to pry the back off hit the contacts.)  anyway, it felt like i peed on an electric fence. WOW!  i spent the next 15 minutes on the floor looking for all the parts that went sailing across the room..    

then on my next 2 cams i snapped a picture and immediately dropped the batteries from the camera before opening... had no problems with them

bottom line....get your kids to do the dirty work for ya, or use something plastic when prying on the enclosure.

bigmandude

Tinhorn

Reaction score
Ha ha,  I can see those parts now.....

that's about 300 volts on there but not enough current to do any real damage to-ya unless you poke yourself in the eye with a screwdriver jumping back.....

I got shocked working on TV's a lot, the 30,000 volts on the pix tube wasn't so bad but in the old days when they had tubes, one tube has about 5000 volts of RF on the tube cap, when it got you, the spark traveled to the bone, cauterizing on the way, traveled down the bone to the nearest grounded skin part and cauterized it's way back thur the skin as it exited.  This cauterization area felt like a splinter for weeks afterwords sometimes........

When I'd get a good one, it sometimes turned up my brightness so much, I couldn't see very good for a few minutes, only bright white.....

Tinhorn

robNhood

Reaction score
Just don't put your tongue on it to see if the batteries are good!

Possum

Reaction score
You guys can sure paint a picture.  I can see it now.  Wait, I just saw a relay fly by my house.  Must be the delay from the time zone difference.  I you decide to do the tongue test do it in front of another cam so we can see the pic.  It might win a category in the contest.XD    

(Edited by Possum at 10:03 pm on Aug. 30, 2001)

spectr17

Administrator
Admin
Reaction score
I got zapped by a stun gun in a sheriff's car one time, it felt the same way.

Nope, I wasn't under arrest either, just working on the radio CAD system and I ran into Mr. Stun Gun.

The sheriff's here had a rig made up for unruly prisoner's to wear in court. The deputy had the remote and when the perp got out of line, WHAM-O, do the funky chicken. One perp kept sassing a judge and he got it about 6 times. He sued and now they don't use the buzz belt anymore. It was funny as heck watching that guy do backflips around the court room, them deputies were grinning ear to ear.

Jaggermax

Inactive
Reaction score
Bigman, the same exact thing happened to me with a Fuji 90.  Bad thing was that I was using a small steak knife at the time because I could not find a small screwdriver to pop the case open.  My wife was standing next to me in the kitchen cooking and my 16 month old was next to me watching.  When I touched the knife to the capacitor contacts, Wham, the knife flew behind me and stuck in the wall two feet behind me. Of course, all of the screws and parts flew everywhere as well.  

Needless to say, my better half got VERY upset with me and started yelling that it could have hit Jr.  She had a good point, so now I only do it when she and Jr. are not around.  

Eagle Eye

Reaction score
My father in-law zapped my mother in-law with a cattle prod at the co-op one time, he didnt think it had batteries in it. Knocked her to her knees, everybody got a good laugh outta that but her.

Welby

Reaction score
LOL

I bought my wife a stun gun about two or three years ago.  It had, I believe, 350,000 volts.  Anyway, I just had to see what that thing would do before I gave it to her, so I went looking for one of our cats to try it on.  You know, a cat makes a really weird sound when you stick a stun gun to it.  Really weird noise.  And they don't ever come back to you either...gosh, I miss that cat.

corey

Reaction score
HaHaHaHa!!! Can't stop laughing! But don't feal bad I did the same thing. The one about the cat liked to killed me!  LOL!!!

Latest Posts

Advertisement

Top Bottom