MS 20 LED QUESTION

davered1

Reaction score
While wiring my last board I hooked up LED where it is "supposed" to go according to jesses page. Problem is that as soon as I hook led up it makes the relay(5V) quit working? If I remove LED relay works fine again. over and over

How? I don't know. I can't find any solder or anything else that can be shorting it.

So to cure problem I removed LED and hooked it up to the same place as the relay + and - sides.

This seems to work well but I am curious if anyone thinks it might put strain on anything?

Works well and I have both again. Anyone see a problem arising from it?

thanks

Tinhorn

Reaction score
Hi Davered1,

It's funny the Relay would shutdown like that?

Are you using a DPSP swithch to switch between teh LED and Relay?  I assume so and if you're not, I would, to keep the current down.  Most LED's and Reed Relays draw about the same current, 18 to 20 ma's.  

I doubt it'd hurt anything as long as one at a time is energized....

Tinhorn

davered1

Reaction score
Tinhorn,

It is the first one that I had do that (out of over 40 now).When I first removed board from enclosure I noticed that from the factory the soldering gun skipped across the board and left a trail of solder with it. I scraped it all off but maybe I am missing something.

I do use the  DPSP switch. I kept that board for my own personal camera.I'll run it for a ouple months and see if it works the whole time.

Thanks

bikehike

Reaction score
Hello Davered1,

I had a similar issue with the ms20 sensor. I set it all up like blackwater's site illustrated and when i attached the led it would not click the relay, when I disconnected the led it was fine. I checked everything, power supply, solder joints, sloppy soldering, wires, but could not figure it out. I'm going to get another 9v relay and try that and then if that doesn't work I'm going after the board itself. I just bought another sensor and relay and put that one together and everything works fine. Hope you figure it out..

Top Bottom