MS-20 RELAY AND LESS VOLTAGE DRAW

tomtruck

Reaction score
I dont know if anyone has tried this yet, but after toying around with relays on the ms-20 and trying to see what else would work and would use less current, i bought a 4n25  opto coupler, if you are looking at the component side of the ms-20 board with the relay at the top, i removed the original 24volt relay and usedthe 2spots from the coil and soldered short wires onto them, on the top wire i soldered a 4.7k resistor and then looking at the opto coupler you will see a small hole on the top side, the pin closest to this indentation is pin#1. i soldered the wire with the above resistor here. i then took the the other wire from the relay area and soldered that to pin #2, i then took the wire from the camera that is used for the shutter and flash and soldered it to pin#4, then i took the ground that we used to ground out the shutter and the flash( the other wire that comes from the camera) and soldered it to pin#5..on my meter it used very very little draw...it worked for me.. try it...just an idea... i got 35cents in this modification

Hill Hopper

Banned
Reaction score
Jon's done it, and I've etched a small addon board. Haven't tested the board yet, but the baord should work. has a PS2501-1 OPTO and a 10K resistor. Sized abt the same footprint as the relay, and just solders in in place of the relay like Jon's deadbug.

tomtruck

Reaction score
i did not know if it had been done yet, but i figured i would share it just in case. no harm ment..Tom

gizz

Reaction score
Tom - no harm taken!
Check out Jon's thread on the "low power ms20 mods" and by spending another $2 you can get that MS20 to run on a 9v battery for 6 months or more. I did the mods and it reduced the power consumption by 15X - just what Jon advertised! :wink-yellow:

MCinIL

Inactive
Reaction score
HH, are you going to make many of those boards and make them availlable. If you could post a pic would be great. Thanks, MC.

Hill Hopper

Banned
Reaction score
Sorry Tom, didn't mean it that way, was on my way out the door and didn't mean to sound short. MCinIl, if folks are interested I will, Want to test it first but not anticipating any problems. Will post a pic.

Top Bottom