MS 20 SENSITIVITY QUESTIONS.

Ky Kowboy

Reaction score
Does anyone out there know if there is a resistor that can be changed or any other mods that can be done to the circuit board to make the ms20 not as sensitive?  

Has anyone ever tried using the sensor Regent makes that has adjustable sensitivity and if so where is the cheapest place to buy them.

These false pics get really annoying.  I just wonder if the trail cams you buy at Cabelas, etc... have these problems.  

Any type of input anyone has would be appreciated.

Archilochus

Reaction score
Hi Ky Kowboy,
I think Brian is maybe working on some mods for the MS-20 sensitivity.

If you want the super simple method of reducing senstivity on any PIR sensor, try adding layers of plastic material over the PIR lens.  You'll have to experiment with different types of plastic, because even a thin layer of some types will block all of the IR signal.

I think there is a note about the adjustable Regent sensor on Jesses "home-brew" page.  Don't think it will work.

Any typical PIR motion sensor is going to get false pics occasionally.  Most are due to facing the cam into a sunny spot.  If you're having lots of empty pics even in low light situations, maybe your sensor field of view is wider than the cams.  Or you could have lots of small mammals or birds running about triggering the cam and getting out of the frame before the pic is taken - check the edges of your negatives.

Good Luck!,
Archilochus

BUCKRIDER

Reaction score
KY KOWBOY,I am having the oppposite problem as you are!? I have built 5 cams using regent MS20 sensors and they worked great when first put into the field but they seem to be getting less sensitive after only taking 5 rolls of 24 ex. originally i could test the sensor out to 20-25 feet but now I have to get to within about 5 feet of it before it senses me closing in on it. All batteries are fully charged and all systems are go but something is amiss. If anyone has any ideas on what the problem is I would appreciate a response here or email me! The only thing that comes to mind is the ambient temp. was cooler when i first started taking pics and the latest are in the dead of summer, also made sure the cams are not facing into the sun. Thanks...

Ky Kowboy

Reaction score
What size relay did you use with your sensor?  I used a 9 volt relay and use 2 6 volt lantern batteries wired in parallel.  Sounds like your batteries maybe getting weak.  If not that,  maybe when you mounted your sensor to the box, you may have angled your sensor to where it points down.  I done this on my first one.  I correct it by putting a stick between the tree and case to angle it up.  

BUCKRIDER

Reaction score
KY, I am using the 9 volt relay(the blue one that looks just like the one being replaced) as well from radio shack. I use a 12 volt 5.5 amp/hr. feeder battery for powering the system and like I mentioned , the battery is fully charged, and I go to great pains to ensure the cam is securely mtd. to tree and is level and that the sensor is pointing where it should be, I like you, also have used sticks and rocks to level things up for proper alignment. Thanks for your response! I will dbl. check the sensor next time though, just to be sure, as it had been knocked around by cows and a friend that I let borrow it! It was looking a little ragged when I got it back! The thing of it though is that they all seem to be having this problem at the same time??

Top Bottom