MS 20 sensor working 24 hrs. right out of the box?

BUCKRIDER

Reaction score
Hello. I have made 5 trail cams so far, all identical. They work well. My problem is I wanted to build a varmint feeder light using the Ms 20 and a 12 volt track lighting lamp. I wired everything The same as if I were using a camera but instead connected to the lamp to light up the area around the feeder when something triggers the sensor. Normally I need to cover up the photo electric eye in order for the sensor to work 24 hours a day when in auto mode. On this one I did not cover photo eye as I want it to only come on at night while in auto mode for the 2 min. time for light to stay on. But for some reason or another the sensor is triggering 24 hours a day anyway. Is there more likely something wrong with the wiring or the photo eye? I cant think of anything I could have done while wiring that would affect the photo eye. Is there some way to independently test the photoeye? Obviously returning the sensor is not an option as it has been modified> Any ides fellas? would be glad to hear any and all ideas! Thanks, Donnie

Archilochus

Reaction score
Hi Buckrider,
Is the 'photo-eye' fully exposed to ambient light??  Even shading the eye or putting it behihd plexi or glass will change the light level at which the sensor switches on/off.

Archilochus

Tinhorn

Reaction score
Archy mite be rite, maybe the Light Sensor is not in it's socket after you re-assemlbled everything

I messed around with one once and was going to install a switch for a Nite-Time only pix option but the sensor circuit wasn't calibrated very good, it tripped unless it was a very bright sunny day.  I gave up on the idea for the time being

But

If you want to experiment:
R27, a 6.8K resistor connected to transistor Q3's base could be made a Variable and the MS20 could then be adjusted.  I think I'd use a 10 or 20K variable......

Tinhorn

BUCKRIDER

Reaction score
Archy, I havent dbl. checked to see if the photo eye may have gotten tucked under somehow and not be getting the light it needs, but I will check that next! thanks for the suggestion! Tinhorn, You are getting way over my head with trying to make an adjustable light sensor!? If worse comes to worse and it wont work like its supposed to, I will just swap this sensor out with another one and put this one into a game trail cam which is how I want it to work anyway! Thanks again!

Tinhorn

Reaction score
BUCKRIDER

Your mind is making the adjustable change more complicated than it is, since you built several movement cameras, you can make the MS20 adjustable.......   :)

There are several types of variable resistors but I'd use one called a potentiometer.  You just have to drill a hole and mount it with a nut.

Go to radio shack and select one who's value is 10 or 20K ohms, it's not real critical.  It will have 3 terminals, solder a wire several inches long on the center terminal and another wire on one of the outer terminals. (one terminal will have no connection)

Electrically all you do is unsolder R27 and solder in the wires from the "Pot" in the same holes where the resistor was.  Don't worry about which wire goes in which hole, it don't really matter.  To change sensitivity to light, turn the Pot shaft one way or the other.

Mount the Pot somewhere convenient but you may need to find tune it so don't "bury it too deep"  Once it's set for the light conditions you want, it shouldn't need anymore adjusting tho.

Once you get it all done, give us a report on the results.  This change, with a few more mods, can be used on Movement Cameras using an MS20 and add a Night-Time only feature.  Be usefull over corn piles where crows are a problem.

You can do it !

Tinhorn

BUCKRIDER

Reaction score
Tinhorn, shoot yeah! Now that you have spelled it out for me in simpleman terms! Yes I can do that, I am semi familiar with Potentiometers. Thanks for the tip. It may be a while before I get to do testing and so on but will let you know how it works...Thanks again!

Top Bottom