MS 20 Timer

Ky Kowboy

Reaction score
Just found this out.  The MS20 sensor has a built in two minute timer.  When the switch is in "test",  as soon as movement stops the contacts will open.  In "auto" the contacts will not open unless movement has stopped for two minutes.  The camera will only take one picture while contacts are closed.  It must open and then close again before 2nd pic will take.  

This is something you all probably have figured out by now.  I will continue to run my camera in "auto". The more the the merrier in my book.

Possum

Reaction score
If you feel the 2 minutes is too long, you can go to the MS20 board and take resistor R25 out.  Replace it with two wires.  Take these wires to a DPDT switch.  By putting different resistor values on each side of the switch and each wire to the center poles, you can switch between two different time out periods.  I use a 27sec. time out and a 50second timeout period.  These timers are retriggerable meaning there can be no motion for the entire time period.  Congratulations on your cam with the MS20.

SIMPLEARKANSAN

Reaction score
IF YOU SET THE SENSOR IN THE AUTO POSTION, I THINK WELBY POSTED THAT YOU EITHER NEED TO REMOVE THE PHOTOSENSOR OR COVER IT.  I BELIEVE THIS IS CORRECT.

SIMPLEARKANSAN

Reaction score
KY KOWBOY, HERE IS WELBY'S EMAIL TO ME.  I HOPE THIS EXPLAINS IT FURTHER:

The MS20's built in time delay feature is activated by the Test/Auto switch.  From the factory, the Auto setting allows the MS20 to be used only at night AND gives an approximate 2 minute delay before resetting (2 minutes after motion is no longer detected, of course).  However, when modified for camera use, you can either remove or cover the light sensor (which is located just above and to the left of the PIR sensor) so that even in the Auto setting the MS20 can be used during daylight hours while taking advantage of the 2 minute delay.

HOPE THIS HELPS

wfontjr

Reaction score
for the newcomers, if the motion + the two minute delay last for more than about 3 minutes the camera will lock up, the camera locks up if the contacts stay closed this long, thats why most of us use a one shot timer along with the ms20 two minute delay

Ky Kowboy

Reaction score
For some reason I do not have that problem with mine.  In "auto" the sensor will work in day or night time.  Thanks for the tip Possum.  I may try that on my next camera.  The next one will make #3.  I am going to have to make an aluminum template on my next one.  Measuring where to cut out the case every time gets to be a real pain in the neck.

wfontjr

Reaction score
short out the leads on the camera for 5 minutes then release the wire and reconnect, my understanding is the camera will not take another pic until you disconnect the battery

Top Bottom