MS20 Battery Life

Canuck

Reaction score
I have built several cameras using the Radioshack Sensor and  am very happy with the battery life I am getting.  However the local Radio Shack here in Canada recently informed me that the PIR mini alarm has been discontinued:cry-blue:.   I was reading the mods for the MS20 and they indicated that battery life is only "4 to 5 days or 10 pics" with to regular alkaline batteries.  Is this true?  I am getting several months operation out of my radioshack sensors and often only check them once a month at several locations.  I have picked up what remaining RS PIR's I could find here but was hoping someone had found a way to incease the battery life of the MS20.

ArkansasElkHunter

Reaction score
This is from an old post by Tinhorn

"Here is what Knobby Posted, he was quoting me in that post.  

Battery Life of MS20

The formula is Batt Ampacity(ma) / Current Draw (ma)

Typical Ampacity Values and hours for 1.6ma current draw:
9v = 590 ma's.............369 hrs
AAA = 1,000 ma's........625 hrs
AA = 2,000 ma's........1250 hrs
C = 6,000 ma's.........3750 hrs
D = 12,000 ma's.......7500 hrs

these figures apply as long as the batteries are used in Series, don't matter about what the voltage adds up too. It's bad practice to Parallel battery's because the weakest will run down the strongest to it's level

also, I spelled battery's 2 different ways, one is bound to be right   Tinhorn "

kmitch

Reaction score
I have one camera using the MS20 and the Quality Kits timer board that I power with AA cells. The measured current draw is about 2.5ma. The calculations would indicate that the battery life should be 20 days. I have been leaving these out for a month at a time lately and find that when I return the batteries are at the minimum to operate.

Tinhorn, I believe, replaced the quad op amp in a MS20 with a super low current model and reduced the MS20 current from 1.5 ma down to about 1.0 ma.

My latest camera design uses four C cells and 5v relays. Relays will normally operate at 20% below the rated voltage so I figure I am good down to about 4 volts.

I am modifying my camera design to use 6V lantern batteries, the bigger hammer theory. I use them in my feeders already so I have some rechargable 6V. This should give several months of batter life.

I'm satisfied with 30 day battery life. If I recall correctly the paper published by Mississippi State on doing Infrared Camera Surveys stated that in about a week or 10 days you will have captured everything that's there. If I have not shot up a roll in 30 days I'm in the wrong place. Yes I could go to a low current design, solar panels, etc. to get better battery utilization.

Just my thoughts.

Anyone measured the battery drain of the boards by Hamiltoe, Brian, JoeD?

Keith

davered1

Reaction score
You easilly get 2 months out of 4 cell batteries with the 5V relay. Thats just as good or better than the RS?

coyotebandit

Reaction score
I'm have been using the RS setup with a JoeD timer and 5v relay, going on 6 months with the same 4 AA's. I think the RS PIR takes a quite a bit less power, I know the exact numbers are here somewhere. That was the main reason I picked the RS over the MS20.

jayber

Reaction score
I've been getting ~3 months in moderate temps with 4-C batteries running an MS20 and 2-stage timer, ~1.5 months in colder temps.

Canuck

Reaction score
I'm still running the original 9v battery in my RS camera systems and they have been out for 5 months now.  I am still waiting to see when they drop below a usable level.  

I picked up a garrison motion sensor/door chime that runs off a 9v battery similar to the RS at Canadian Tire and wired it yesterday. Range seems excellent we'll see how long batteries last in it.

davered1

Reaction score
canuck,

How much was it in C$ and what department!

Tinhorn

Reaction score
yeh! that PIR sounds interesting Canuck,

What's a tire company doing selling gizmo's like that?   Brian works at a Tire Company (I guess)   maybe they sell them too, he he, now we know where he's getting all his PIC's!

but seriously, sounds interesting, any more info on it?

Tinhorn

Hill Hopper

Banned
Reaction score
Canuck and Davered1, find a website or mfg and let us know  
:bounce-red-fire:

Canuck

Reaction score
I found them near the lighting section.  They are a door/alarm chime that retailed for around $21.00 canadian.  I took a look on the Canadian Tire website but couldn't find them.

davered1

Reaction score
21$ Canadian is about 14$ U.S.

I will try to find a couple when I go to Calgary next wednesday

bikehike

Reaction score
Canuck,

Here's my two cents worth, I run the MS20 and I power it with a rechargeable 9.6 volt remote controll car battery. I have never seen it run down to where it will not work anymore. These batteries are great because they are flat and skinny. Plus if you get a 4 hour charger you have the cam back out pretty quickly. I had my cam out last winter and a few times it was about 2 degrees and the battery kicked butt. Good Luck

marmot

Reaction score
<font face=arial size=1><blockquote><hr noshade size=1>Quote: from kmitch on 10:39 am on June 4, 2002
I have one camera using the MS20 and the Quality Kits timer board that I power with AA cells. The measured current draw is about 2.5ma. The calculations would indicate that the battery life should be 20 days. I have been leaving these out for a month at a time lately and find that when I return the batteries are at the minimum to operate.

Tinhorn, I believe, replaced the quad op amp in a MS20 with a super low current model and reduced the MS20 current from 1.5 ma down to about 1.0 ma.

My latest camera design uses four C cells and 5v relays. Relays will normally operate at 20% below the rated voltage so I figure I am good down to about 4 volts.

I am modifying my camera design to use 6V lantern batteries, the bigger hammer theory. I use them in my feeders already so I have some rechargable 6V. This should give several months of batter life.

I'm satisfied with 30 day battery life. If I recall correctly the paper published by Mississippi State on doing Infrared Camera Surveys stated that in about a week or 10 days you will have captured everything that's there. If I have not shot up a roll in 30 days I'm in the wrong place. Yes I could go to a low current design, solar panels, etc. to get better battery utilization.

Just my thoughts.

Anyone measured the battery drain of the boards by Hamiltoe, Brian, JoeD?

Keith
<hr noshade size=1></blockquote></font>

Same problems here. Mine only lasted about a week, 2 1/2 rolls of film. Sounds like we have gone full circle and we are back to the same old battery drain problem. I think I will install a plug in the sensor battery wires so I can use a 4 D battery holder for normal use and a lantern battery for extended use.

The 4 AA set up is usless. I think the problem is that the sensor continues to drain the battery after the film is all shot up. Anyplace where there is a lot of activity, like my bear bait, the 4 AA set up isn't going to last long.

2 things that are needed in the circuitry are a sensor shut off when the film rewinds and a get away timer so you don't get pictures of yourself walking away from the trailcam. Also, a fix for the camera taking a picture every time you plug it in would be benificial, I have an idea on this one.

There it is, the problems continue. The timer really does work nice, I must admit.

marmot

Reaction score
<font face=arial size=1><blockquote><hr noshade size=1>Quote: from ArkansasElkHunter on 9:51 am on June 4, 2002
This is from an old post by Tinhorn

"Here is what Knobby Posted, he was quoting me in that post.  

Battery Life of MS20

The formula is Batt Ampacity(ma) / Current Draw (ma)

Your formula is broken.

Typical Ampacity Values and hours for 1.6ma current draw:
9v = 590 ma's.............369 hrs
AAA = 1,000 ma's........625 hrs
AA = 2,000 ma's........1250 hrs
C = 6,000 ma's.........3750 hrs
D = 12,000 ma's.......7500 hrs

these figures apply as long as the batteries are used in Series, don't matter about what the voltage adds up too. It's bad practice to Parallel battery's because the weakest will run down the strongest to it's level

also, I spelled battery's 2 different ways, one is bound to be right   Tinhorn "

<hr noshade size=1></blockquote></font>

ArkansasElkHunter

Reaction score
Marmott,

I take it you don't usa a timer.  Are you using the test or on mode on the ms20.  I know the current draw is 1.6ma when the ms20 is idel and the figures above should be correct.  Depending on your relay choice, you are probably getting a high current drain when the ms20 is triggered.  If you use the on mode and have a minute or so of shutter press, that may explain your battery problem.    You might want to check out the mods that Gantly's friend Jon came up with on the ms20 re-trigger.  For $3 or so you can add a delay timer (0 to 7 min) and get a constant 10 sec shutter press.   That should help out on the batteries a little.

marmot

Reaction score
I've got the lastest design of the timer circuit and the sensor runs on test.

2 1/2 rolls of film on the 4 AA bateries.

Top Bottom